buckboard bacon first try

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drlouis

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
did this even earlier than the easter ham... I'm perhaps the world's most effective procrastinator.
icon_redface.gif

tried my hand at a buckboard bacon about a month ago. used tenderquick, salt, black pepper and a little garlic powder and onion powder for the cure (if I hadn't waited so long to post I'd remember how much of each..), rubbed it on dry and put in plastic bags in the fridge for 8 days. then smoked over hickory to 160F if I remember correctly. Sorry, I forgot to get pics before curing/smoking, but here they are out of the smoker and then cut. It came out with really good flavor, but too salty, I did soak in water for around 5 hours changing it every 30 minutes to an hour, but I under-estimated how much the drying out during the smoke would concentrate the salt. My family gave it a thumbs up, but I wasn't happy with it. I'll know better next time.
cccf7ac5_vbattach21115.jpg

3a6c77a0_vbattach21116.jpg

a7902443_vbattach21117.jpg

Next time try and do a Brine with TQ and inject it, I think it is one cup TQ and 4 cups water. ALWAYS do a fry pan test after 3 days and don't combine salt with TQ because TQ is 90% salt anyway. Test a piece from the middle and halfway down. The last one I did that and no soak needed and it was perfect. Also take off at no more than 152'.

Good luck and give it another try, don't give up.

I usually cure my buckboard for 14 days.... rinse it off and smoke it. Never really had a problem with it being too salty. It looks like you cut a butt into three smaller pieces to cure and smoke. I might be wrong but if you did, it may have concentrated much more of the salt cure on the surface. You would have a lot more surface area on a butt cut into three pieces compared to leaving it whole. Might be what happened. Then again... I really love salt. If you aren't acustom to eatin much salt... almost any salt is too salty.
Thanks for the Qview. Looks Shweeeeet!

thanks for the input guys. I'll keep that in mind about the TQ, I'd seen another thread with TQ and salt in the recipe so I followed suit, but as salty as it was I'll definitely try the next one without the salt. I kept cuttin', fryin', tastin', soakin'... repeat. Thought I had it, but that's how we learn.

Pignit, I thought I'd pulled a boneless butt outa the freezer but when it thawed, lo and behold a bone. so I de-boned it and in doing so I ended up with 3 chunks. I figured it'd be ok, since they were about the thickness of a belly, but maybe the fact that it has so much less fat? anyway, I'll try it with just the TQ.

Question: should one cut into the middle when doing the fry pan test? I went 8 days partly because I was worried about the cure not penetrating all the way.

Yes, in the Middle and to the center. Use a filet knife and just pull out a Plug.

Good luck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky