Buckboard Bacon Cures?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

elkhorn98

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Occidental, CA
I got 2 pork shoulders for buckboard bacon and was thinking to try a wet cure. Here is the only one I can find online

1 gallon ice cold water
1/3 cup kosher salt
1/3 cup molasses
1 teaspoon Cajun spice
Cure

Anyone have others? I have done a homemade dry cure before and it turned out good. What is the traditional or preferred cure method, wet or dry? Maybe I'll do one dry and one wet.

I use Mortons Tender Quick wet and injected.

1 cup TQ 4 cups water. Inject, soak, for 2 -3 days. Slice a piece off and do a fry pan test. If too salty, soak in cold water 4 hours or till you are satisfied with the taste.

Good luck!

My favorite for the Buckboard is simply cure, garlic, onion powder, and black pepper. I've done the sweet thing and have always come back to the cure, garlic, onion, and pepper. I would leave out the pepper for the brine but add all of it as a rub again when I smoke it. Let us know how it turns out.

Ron,
So your saying inject the cure then soak the pig in the same cure?
does this shorten the cure time?

I did thw wet cure listed above and a dry cure of tender quick, brown suger, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and salt. I did inject the wet one too. Now I just have to wait awhile. I'll post a follow up.

Yes, I usually get it cured in 2 -3 days. I also try and get a small piece from the center and do a fry pan test to see not only the saltiness, but to make sure it is cured to the center.

Let me know if you need any help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky