Briskets going in the smoker!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

la cocinita

Original poster
Dec 24, 2016
This mornings adventure is 2 choice briskets for Christmas presents tomorrow.

Average weight choice briskets - a 12 pounder and a 13 pounder - from Just Good Meats here in Omaha.  Trimmed and seasoned with Billy Bucks Smokehouse Rub (Sugar, Salt, Paprika, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, and Spices).

Into the Southern Pride DH-65 smoker here at La Cocinita Community Kitchen for 7 hours of cook time at 230 degrees, plus another 90 minutes of 160 degree steam heated "rest time" or until the core is 195 degrees.

Then it's slice and vac pac in the Vacmaster.  Nothing says Christmas like brisket under the tree!

UPDATE: Small brisket took 7 hours, big one almost 8 hours.

I like to separate the point and flat after cooking, so the whole point is removed along the drizzly fat line between the muscles and set aside for burnt ends.  Flat gets sliced and vacuum packed using my trusty VacMaster, along with about 1/8 cup of pan drippings per bag which should get reabsorbed in the vacuum bag.

Point gets diced and coated with sauce, then into the convection oven for a 15 minute burn-off at 400 degrees followed by a 15 minute cool off with the pan tilted at an angle to let the fat run off.  Again, packed and sealed in the Vacmaster.

Who wouldn't like some smoked brisket under the tree?  Ho Ho Ho!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky