Briskets for charity golf tourny

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kcbluesnbbq

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Smoked up two briskets a 10 pound and a 12.5 pound, for a golf tourney at the Fraternal Order of Eagles, to raise money for the Dream Factory.

3d116513_IMG_20110923_204443.jpg

All rubbed and ready to go.

a945fbf1_IMG_20110923_204823.jpg

d91dfa2e_IMG_20110923_204835.jpg

Got them in the smoker ready to absorb some fine flavor.

26d0cd26_IMG_20110924_125316.jpg

a4492171_IMG_20110924_125325.jpg

Slow smoked at 225 for 18 hours. Foiled them the last 2.5 hours, didn't want them getting crispy.

Golfers ran long on the tourney, two hours late. I wrapped 2 layers of foil and a heavy bath towel around each one, then put in a cooler. They sat in the cooler around 3 hours. They were still to hot to handle when I pulled them out to slice.

I smoked this 7 pound pork loin also.

4b7c1eb3_IMG_20110924_124824.jpg

We had less than thirty people to feed, but they wiped out the meat, beans, tater salad, and most of the peach and black berry cobblers, in less than twenty minutes. Funny how the veggie trays hardly had anything missing.

ca8faf40_IMG_20110925_172548.jpg

This is all that I managed to stash for myself. Not even enough for a sandwich.

This was our 1st annual tournament. Did better than we expected, so we are all ready planning next years.

Will definitely smoke way more meat next year. Apparently golfing turns you into a hungry carnivore.

Looks great and a great cause too nice job

Thanks to all of you.
I recieved compliments from just about everyone at the event.
They ate all of it so fast I don't know how they tasted it.

That is some fine looking brisket my fellow smoker!

How did you determine how long to cook them, the 18 hrs?

I use a temp probe in the meat. I let it go till it reached 190°. Had a really long stall on both briskets. I kept the temp in the smoker around 225° the entire smoke. If the briskets had been higher quality, I could have smoked at a higher temp and got done sooner, but I was worried about getting the meat really tender.

The way my severely modified smoker (you can see my build by searching the site for "Double Deluxe Pitmaster Mod") is setup, the top rack runs about 10° hotter than bottom, except by the firebox end, which is the hottest. This way I put the bigger one on the top rack and the smaller one on the bottom away from the firebox. They always seem to get done about the same time.

I hope that answers your question. If not, ask some more.

• FIXME: needs styling from "post-user-info"
  • KCbluesNbbq
  • Great looking smoke.  I have played in several golf outings and usually all you get to eat is franks and brats.  With that kind of food they will be signing up next week, for next year.  Great contribution to a great charity.
    77.gif

• FIXME: needs styling from "post-user-info"
  • KCbluesNbbq
  • Great looking smoke.  I have played in several golf outings and usually all you get to eat is franks and brats.  With that kind of food they will be signing up next week, for next year.  Great contribution to a great charity.
    77.gif
I think having BBQ really helped bring out a few teams. Several guy's said they couldn't wait to play again next year. Sounds like we will have a lot teams. Looks like we will have to smoke way more.

Thanks for all the great compliments.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky