Brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ikebbq

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
West Columbia, SC
After smoking butts, chickens, turkeys, fatty, and ribs, I think its about time to smoke a brisket. I've read a couple post about cooking them but had a question for you smokers out there. I hear about different cuts of brisket, flat and point. Are these the only cuts for brisket. Also, is there a preferred cut or is one just bigger than the other. I guess you can see that i know nothing about brisket and dont want to walk in to the butcher with some confused look on my face when i try to buy it. Thanks all.

I only get the flat cut down here in Charleston. The flat and the point is a packer brisket and runs anywhere from 8 - 12 lbs or so. Stick with one or the other because they can get right expensive. The flats I get are in the 3 - 4 lb range and usually come out very well. Smoke them to about 190 - 200 and let them rest for awhile. Some like to cook them fat side down to protect the meat and others like to cook fat side up to let the fat drip down into the meat. I've done mine fat side up and have been very happy with it. Cut them on the thinner side to insure tenderness. Good luck and if i've missed anything there will be others around shortly to help. Remember you can't rush a brisket....

A flat and point together comprise a "packer". A packer is a BIG hunk of meat, and is actually the "brisket" entire. Corned beef is almost always made from the "flat" portion of the cut. Guess I dunno what points alone are used for? Never seen a point cut packaged for sale. Huh...

i rountinely see point cuts of corned beef around St. Patty's day. I can't wait for Super Bowl Sunday. gonna smoke a whole Packer the SmokieOkie method. they sell them at Wally here for 1.67 a lb., normal price.

Like was already said, the "brisket" is a packer. Butchers sell the "flat" and the "point" separate. Here, you can buy a packer or a flat. You can get flats, and points, cured for corned beef. I always buy a packer, in the 8 to 12-lb range. I smoke mine to 195°, measured in the flat. I slice the flat, and pull the point. I use the shredded point to make sammies, and my wife eats the sliced flat for her plate.

I rub mine with mustard, and sprinkle Jeff's rub on it. I smoke mine fat side down, never flipping it. When it hits ~160°, I place it in an alum pan, covering it with foil. I continue cooking it to 195°. After wrapping, you don't have to keep the smoke going. I use a stick burner, so I have smoke still going. I also sometimes have something else in the smoker anyway. After it hits your target temp, let it rest, still wrapped, for 2-3 hours. Some say wrap it in old towels, and place in a cooler- stuffed with a blanket. I let mine rest on top of the stove.

Any other questions, just ask.

I see points around here from time to time as well as flats. The 12-14# range is what I like to use as well.

Hey Chris, did you ever use smoke chopped brisket and PP in regular red chili? It's great.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky