Brisket Time?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stakeman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
Spring, Tx
Ok, this is my 4th or 5th Brisket....It's around 11lbs. using the 1-1.5 per lb. It should take 12 hours or so. Its been 7 hours and 15 minutes and its already at 200.....I wraped it at 170 and was going to pull it out at 190 BUT I want it to be fully cooked. So leave it on or pull and wrap?

BTW I tried to keep the smoker at 220. It approached 250 several times when adding wood..

Tip hints ??

that seems pretty quick, how long did you plan on resting it, I would say check it again once your done resting to make sure and then slice/pull away and be happy you didn't get a stall and go 17 hours and 15 minutes lol.

hey Stackman, that is a fast cook, if you haven't done it already check your thermometers I bet there not accurate.

Yeah, I'm a total neebie....I pulled the thermo, reinserted it into a more lean meat area and got a 183 reading... I had it in the thick/fatty end at first thinking the thickest part would be the way to go.. I suspect the amount of fat in that area has fooled me..Now I'm second guessing if I foiled it too soon and didn't get a good crust..

I'm thinking of taking the foil back off. Good idea or no?

If it were me, I would keep it in the foil. And if your thermo is not acurate, try sliding in a fork and give it a little turn. If there is not much resistance & it feels "right", foil 'er back up, take it off the smoker & let it rest. I like to put mine in a cooler & stuff the dead air space with old towels or newspaper for at least a couple hours. It will re-distribute the juices & oh yeah, it will still be HOT!

don't let that stop ya, we were all newbies at one time, Heck i'm still a newbie in most flavors of smokin

Hi Stakeman,

take a tall glass and fill it with ice cubes, as many as will fit. Then fill the glass with cold tap water and swirl it around for a minute or two, get it good and going.

Now stick your thermometer probe in it. Give it a good 60 second count, then read it. It should read 32 degrees F. If it doesn't, adjust it so that it does. If you can't adjust it at least you know by how much it's off.

Good luck on the brisket, keep us posted!

33 on the ice water.. I think fat transfers heat better and I had it in a big marble / fat vein!!

Also stick your probe in som boiling water to see how accurite you are on the high end.

Don't get all wond up on a peice of meat getting done early, i have had several peices get done in half the time i expected, and also had them run way long on time. Play this game long enuff, have a few sleepless nites, and you will understand the statement "It's done when the themo clock read between 190* o'clock and 200* o'clock", time is relevent

The meat will stop absorbing the "smoke flavor" at around 150. Since you said it's alread around the 180-185 mark, I would say, if you think the "crust" isn't developed enough for ya, take it outta the foil, to "get some crust".
Or just leave it in the foil until it hits about 190, then unfoil and continue to cook till it hit 200. The time it takes to raise that 10 degrees, it should develop a decent crust.
Or, just leave it in the foil, cook to temp, see how it turns out, and chalk one up for experience.

You WIIL contiue to take on smoke flavor till the end or foiled, the SMOKE RING will stop forming at aroud 140*

Sorry, my bad, I stand corrected.
redface.gif

Ok thread jackers
icon_razz.gif
! I gave up on the digital remote probe and stuck the old head country freebie in and came up with 185.. Its getting put in the cooler. about 10 hours of smoke time.. A little short for 11 lbs but well see..

I'm also trying wicked beans.. they look tasty.

I have had a number of briskets get done in 7-8 hrs. then cooler for 1 1/2-2hrs. They have turned out awesome. I ran them up to 200 deg. After removing from the foil it would shred very easily. The average weight of briskets I've done has been from 11-13.5#s. You have to realize in the cooler being foiled the meat is going to continue cooking. Good luck let us know how it turns out.

Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky