Brisket slicing help needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

morkdach

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 8, 2007
mid kansas
ok look at the pics and tell me the correct way to slice this.
i want tender slices with the grain or against the grain?
shakehead.gif

bottom pic which is which?
sign0092.gif

sure was good but some was tough and some was great.
foiled it at 193° for bout 2 hours befor chowing on it.

Looking at the pic its kind of hard to tell but I think the cut on the right was close to correct... Should have been more straight across towards the cut on the left.. If that makes sense

Hard to tell for sure, but like Gunner said, it looks like you got it almost right. Some folks will cut a notch in theie uncooked brisket to show the way the grain is running since it can be hard to tell after applying the rub and cooking. Take the not so tender stuff and throw it in some chili....

From that pic I would cut it top to bottom. That looks like th way to go against the grain.

Looks to me that the slicing on the bottom right hand side is against the grain and the other two with the grain. The one against the grain is the way you want to do it.

Regardless, that is one beautiful brisket!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

When cooked to temp and rested,you should be able to slice the point from the flat with your hand and remove any unwanted fat. From there it is as simple as looking at it and cutting across the grain.
Practice,practice,practice!!!

I do the notch trick. The grain may vary a little between flats. The notch will keep you from having to pull at the meat to find the grain. For the most part the grain is going to be running in a general direction on a flat but it does vary some.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky