Brisket Saturday.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
I got a nice looking full packer from GFS yesterday for $1.99/lb.

I couldn't pass it up. I was going to do ribs tomorrow but now it will be brisket.

I am going to separate the point and flat. I will use the point for ground beef.

I am thinking of using my umami bomb injection with Jeff's Texas rub and mesquite chunks low and slow.

I will post pics after the cook....

JC :emoji_cat:

Last edited:
I got a nice looking full packer from GFS yesterday for $1.99/lb.

I couldn't pass it up. I was going to do ribs tomorrow but now it will be brisket.

I am going to separate the point and flat. I will use the point for ground beef.

I am thinking of using my umami bomb injection with Jeff's Texas rub and mesquite chunks low and slow.

I will post pics after the cook....

Sounds like a good plan and u know Mesquite on beef can't be beat!!! :)

Reactions: JC in GB
Well, my brisket cook went quite well. I paid $2.99/lb for the brisket not $1.99 like I first posted.

Here are the results...

Brisket coming out of the vac bag.

20200918_153806_resized.jpg

A nasty gash by the meat processor.

20200918_154112_resized.jpg

Flat trimmed up. Not my best work... ;) I separated the point and flat.

20200918_155729_resized.jpg

Point and trim meat. Made this into ground beef and then made some burgers out of it. Very tasty.

20200918_155741_resized.jpg

A generous application of Jeff's Texas rub

20200918_160739_resized.jpg

In the fridge overnight now ready for the pit

20200919_060356_resized.jpg

Smoked at 250 F in Sarina using mesquite wood chunks. No wrap.
Brisket pulled at 201 F IT

20200919_134047_resized.jpg

Sliced brisket goodness

20200919_134217_resized.jpg

Brisket was just a tad on the dry side but had fantastic flavor. For a GFS $2.99/lb choice packer, this turned out quite well.

I was most impressed by the deep beef flavor this brisket had. It tastes as good cold as it did hot.

Chopped up some brisket and made a potato, carrot, onion, brisket hash for breakfast.

One thing is for sure. I am going to run out of brisket way too soon. I guess another trip to GFS may be in order.

Thanks for looking.

Looks great! I find they all seem to have some unique trimming from the packing plant. my last one has very little fat cap under the flat...like 1/8 of not very dense fat. i was very concerned, but figured i was all in anyways. seemed to work.

Looks real good from my screen JC. A tad dry brisket is still better then no brisket.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks good to me . I've found that a " tad dry " reheats really well after a couple days wrapped in the fridge .
I ground up a nice choice packer yestetday . GFS has had some really nice meat lately .

Nice! UMAMI BOMB INJECTION? Do tell! If an old post, shoot me a Link. Thanks...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky