Brisket Question??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoking in yale

Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
yale, Virginia
I plan on doing my first brisket in the smoker in the morning. The problem is, The brisket is to big to fit in my King Kooker smoker. Is it a problem to cut it in half? Does it matter which piece should go higher in the smoker?

IMHO, because the flat has less marbeling, it shoud go above the point. I dont see any harm in cutting them in half. Put them in early in the morning, as briskets have a tendency to plateau like a pork butt. You might want to also foil them at about 170 degrees, so they steam, Once they hit about 190, you're there. If you're using your verticle smoker, put them on the two racks in the middle of the smoker. Some people like to take them out of the foil and continue cooking for a little while to set the bark. Hope this helps. Let us know how it comes out.

I cut them in half all the time, with no problems. I also don't think it would make much differance as to which part is on top or bottom. Be sure to give yourself plenty of time for the smoke, you can alway's set it in the oven on warm tell the the rest of the supper is ready. I usually keep the smoke to it till the meat reaches 140* or a little more. Then double wrap in foil and put back in the smoker (no need to add smoke) till the temp reaches 195* to 205* then wrap the whole thing in an old towel or small blanket and in a cooler for about an hour to hour and half before slicing or pulling. And you can't go wrong.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky