Brisket plans for the weekend - need feedback from those who know what they are doing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

john3198

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 2, 2009
Houston, TX
Haven't done a brisket for a long time because the one I did way back when turned into dry dead cow because I didn't know what I was doing
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I still dont!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

So I dug back through about 10 pages of posts and the stickys and here's what I came up with:

Start with whole packer. Don't separate point and flat

Trim meat side fat, if needed. Trim fat side to 1/4-1/2 in if needed - but not all the way off.

Use a simple rub from Smoke and Spice - paprika, grd pepper, salt, sugar, chili powder, garlic p, onion p, and cayenne.

Rest overnight

Put on smoker at 225-250, fat side up. Temp probe after an hour and start mop (again S&S)

Pull at 165

Separate point and flat. Foil flat and back on with some mop until 190 (I want to slice it). Rest in cooler in towels an hour or so.

The burnt ends procedure came from a Rivet post that looked great:

Put point back on naked to 180

Let rest 1/2 hour with mop

Then cube,add BBQ sauce (probably Rivet's), and smoke for 3 more hours

I know there as many ways to do brisket as there are folks doing it. Just want to make sure I'm not screwing this up.

Thanks for the help.

Mostly sounds like a good plan but here is what I would change.
Foil at 165 then bring to 190 and then either separate the point then or let rest an hour and then separate the point (I let it rest first so I don't loose so many juices) after separating cube your pint and reseason, back into the smoker for an hour or two then coat in some BBQ sauce and about another hour in the smoker.
Good luck!

John

My advice is KISS (Keep it simple stupid}

It sounds like you have prior brisket experience. I have been bbqin brisket for over 30 years and I feel that each brisket cooked is an experiment. Start simply and build from your own experiences. Do not fall for fancy-schmancy methods that others talk about. Hoitey-Toity methods are for trained chefs--trying to improve brisket and usually failing. Tried and trued methods must be perfected before trying improvements. BBQing brisket correctly is a million dollar education---shoved up your backside a nickel at a time. Start simple---absorb a couple nickels---and get to the millions.

I am getting old---my son, and soon my grandson, are now considered the local pitmasters---it is my duty to pass on knowledge. Some BBQ legends get old and die with their secrets. I prefer to be a BBQ legend wannabee that lived forever through the advice he gave to his younger mentors .

BBQ your brisket---share the results with the folks here --share the resulted product with friends and family. Do not be ashamed to ask questions and pretty soon those that you shared product with will pat your back---because patting one's own back is self serving--those patting your back are serving mankind.

PM me anytime for an old stoved up chuck wagon cook's flowed advice.

John,
Sounds like you've got a solid plan. Stick with that plan and I'm sure you'll have a solid smoke. Might want to take Fire It Up's advice as he's done several sucessful briskets.

Rivet's got a couple of great brisket smokes under his belt. Won't stray off course following his directions either.

Anyway you go with the advice you're following. You'll have a great brisket. Patientce is the key. Don't force the meat to do something until it's ready.

looks like a good plan... only thing I would add is to pay careful attention while trimming fat keeping it as uniformally even as possible and no "scalps". That fat is doing a couple of things; protecting the meat from direct heat, basting the meat and adding GREAT flavor along the way.
Good luck! looking forward to some great qview!!

That should work.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

FWIW......I start checking at 190 or so in the flat.....some are done then, some aren't, stick it with a fork, temp probe, whatever......it should go in an out without much resistance........if you get some push back, it needs more time.

As chuckwagon said.....you just need to cook a bunch of them. No substitute for experience.

Good luck

FIU good idea. Question: seems like separating the point on a 10 lb hunk of meat at 190F might be a bit of a chore. Could you separate the point in the beginning and then put it on the grate together with the flat like it originally was. Hit 165 and foil both separately. At 190, pull the flat and do the towel resting bit and put the cubed point back on the grate for BE's. Does this make any sense?

I like fat side down personally. I think the Fat cap protects against the heat, while allowing mopping to be done directly to exposed meat.

I also foil as soon as it looks like I bust through the plateau (steady increase of emat temp), but you can foil sooner.

I beleive in the kiss rule ( Keep it simple stupid )

a 1st brisket ~

buy a trimmed brisket ( butcher )
rub with Stubbs meat rub ( lightly )
wrap tightly in foil
cook in oven for 2 hours on 325
remove from oven, drian juice from foil into large bowl
save juice
place onto hot smoker with light blue smoke coming out ( preheated )
for 3 hours with top of foil opened about 1 inch .
remove from smoker and wrap tightly in foil and then wrap a towel
around the hot brisket. let it sit 1 hour .

serve and use saved juices ( remove talo from top ) to poor over for added taste . I promise you this way works and the brisket is done in 5 hours . This is not my preferred method but it is a method that works well for beginners .

Have fun , Buddy

I would do just what Jim (fire it up) said to do and you would be serving some old dead dried up cow no more. You will be "THE MAN" around your house for the bbq will be great. Hey don't forget the Qview for after all:

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
"We Are The Kids and You Have The Candy"
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I argee with Chuckwagon, as I have been doing for some time also. Don't look at it as an "event" when cooking a brisket, you will do many over time.
I like to do the trim the same way you listed,rub then go get smoker rolling, then put meat on. Fat cap up/down, toss a quarter, dont matter.
Foil at 165-170, take off at 200* and rest. Slice the flat and pull/shred the point.

Absolutely you can do it that way.
I have done both ways, separating before smoking and after and don't really have a preference on either way, I just do whichever feels right at the time and smoke from there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky