Brisket Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wyatt2050

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Have done butts, shoulders, spares, just about anything pork but never done a brisket. Now is the time. However, I do not feel comfortable doing it. Can some give me the run down on how to do one. What should the smoker temps be? What should I spritz with? fat side up or down? Can I use the same rub that I like to use on my pork? Anything you can offer from start to finish would be awesome. Thanks guys

You can use the same rub, long as it doesn't have a lot of sugar in it since brisket is such a long smoke you don't want the bark to be burnt.
Temps are the normal 225, if you have to trim it yourself leave about 1/8-1/4" fat on it and smoke fat up.
You can spritz with whatever you would like, doing a brisket now and spritzing with raspberry snapple because I forgot to pick up apple juice, last time I did one I mopped with a good beer mop.
Bring it up to about 170 and wrap in foil then bring to 185-190 for slicing and 205 for pulling.
Good luck!

^^ What he said! Plus you need to allow around 1.5 hrs per lb. and when you hit the dreaded stall, DO NOT raise the temps to try to push thru the stall.

do you flip the brisket when you mop? or just mop/spritz the top side?

I smoke them 250-265 degree.I never mop or spritz.Trim fat cap down to 1/4 inch and inject.

I smoke fat cap up until i get color i want-usualy 165 or so and foil....start checking meat for resistance at 180.Probe should go in and out of thickest part of flat like butter.Can be from 180-205 degree

Works for me.....Many ways to do it...Flat on left-point on right...

first off you have put alot on your plane for sure. It's all as easy as you want it to be.Just use your rub and you can run everythig with the same rub. I smoke at about 230-240 and allow plenty of time for smoking and the stall so about 1.5-1.3/4 per pound and you should be fine. No you don't flip the meat but do spritz it after the first hour and then each hour after. I use a mixture of apple juice and apple cidar vingar. The next big thing is make sure you let the meat rest for aleast an hour or more if possible a couple of hours would not be a bad thing. So godd luck and Happy Smoking.

Thanks for the info...do you mind telling your spritz recipe?

You have all good advice so far. You are fully armed and ready to take on the brisket. As you see, some mop, some do not. Some flip it, some do not. Some trim the fat cap, some do not. Just a matter preference. I like my brisket sliced. I flip mine a few hours into the smoke and keep it there for at least 2 hours. During that time, I give it 2 healthy doses of spray. Then I flip it back over and bring it to an internal temp of 175, remove it and wrap in several layers of foils and then wrap an old towel around it and into an old cooler with a pillow on top where it sits for at least 1 hour, 2-3 would be better. It will still be piping hot when you take it out. As far as what to use for a spritz, again, what ever you think you might like. Apple juice is probably a main base for most. I use apple juice and captain morgans rum, or apple juice and blackberry brandy like I did on my last one, was really good. Some just use beer. You really can't go wrong on a spritz, within reason of course LOL. Get your smoker to a temp of 225-240 degrees. If you drink, have a beer or 6. If you don't drink, now might be a good time to think about it. LOL just kidding. Most importantly, don't worry about it. Unless you soak it lighter fluid and set it ablaze, it will turn out just fine.

Once you get a few briskets under your belt, you can try a cooking method alternative to the low and slow and go for a high heat brisket and be done in four hours from start to finish (not including resting time). I'm one of the few here who do them that way and you get the same exact product minus the firm bark in way less time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky