Brisket help needed

Discussion in 'Beef' started by evandostert, Sep 19, 2008.

1. evandostert

evandostert Fire Starter

I just got 2 6.5ish lb briskets the flat pack type. This is my 1st attempt and will be tossing them in the mes along with 2 butts and 2 chickens. I don't know how the abt's are gonna fit in?? Maybe slide the chicken way back on the rack and put them in front. I need help with the timing. Planning backwards for a party. How long average cook time. Should I foil at 160 or 170. I am planning on taking it to 190 for a nice tender slice. Need help in the timing. I need an average time for 6.5lb brisket????

2. depends on what temps your gonna do them but in the 250 range id say an average of 1 1/2 hour per pound

3. doctor phreak

doctor phreak Smoking Fanatic

always go by temp and not time..although they are 6.5 lbs they could be a tough cut...so temp not time

4. 1894

1894 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

And remember , chicken goes underneath the other stuff , or at least where it can't drip on anything else [​IMG]

5. evandostert

evandostert Fire Starter

I am thinking 250 was a good temp. Chicken on the bottom rack butts next rack up brisket over that hoping the butts are not too high so i can fit 4th rack.

6. krusher

krusher Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

If you want too speed up the brisket, sear it, it should move on along faster that way.