Brisket for the big bro.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbqgoddess

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 13, 2008
TEMPLE CITY, SO CALIFORNIA
I am smoking a brisket for one of my two big brothers (both my heros) this happens to be the fireman big brother......
I am using the SmokeyOkie sear method, after I sear I am rubbing with a Cocoa powder based rub, using a mop sauce with a base of tawny port...
I will post some Q-vue tomorrow....wish me luck his ecb had not had any mods made to it since the last time I saw it!!!
I am starting tonight at my house then pulling it off, packing it in a cooler than making the drive down to his casa and putting it on his ecb......
More later!

Good luck, BBQGODDESS

what a great sis...need another brother...just joking...have fun and good luck...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Love the idea of cocoa powder and tawny port!

You should give palm sugar a try sometime. It's a perfect medium for holding the rub. It's the palm sugar in the jar with the liquid on top. As I wrote in an earlier post, the liquid smells funny, but it tastes fine. Basically, you just go through the liquid to get at the concentrated sugar, which is quite solid. The liquid sort of goes along for the ride and softens it. When you rub it on the meat, it breaks down a little and goes from white to clear. It's sort of sticky at that point which is perfect for holding the rub. So far, I haven't noticed any problem with the sugar burning (but I char, so who knows?)

Bet yours turns out great!

Just have him keep what you do a secert from the guys at the station..are you will have a new job cooking there..enjoy your day with family..

Here is my naked 15# beast....:)

here we are searing the beast....mental note dirt puts out grease fire
biggrin.gif

cabana boy was impressed with this empirecal knowledge

all seared....

the final on the rub was 1/2 cup cocoa powder, 1/2 brown sugar 3 tbl cayenne, then rubbed..then a fine layer of cuban coffee, and finished with an additional layer of cracked black pepper...

the mop sauce is the tawny port mixed with cherry chocolate vinegar....
Its been on for about 16 hours now, we have a ways to go..however it smells so YUMMY!!
Thanks for all the great inspiration...and for checking my Q-VUE!!
More to follow...I am smoking to pull temp, with cherry....
BBQG

Looks great so far will be awaiting more Qview

Outstanding! Thanks for the qview. Interesting about the coco rub, will have to give that a try sometime.

Awesome looking sear on that bad boy!!!! The ingredients are out of this world sounding too ... as always ..
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif
biggrin.gif

Love the closeness you have with your family. Nothing like sharing the love of smoked meats with those that are close to ya!

Interesting rub, can't wait to hear about the results and the taste test. I am all eyes and ears for this one.

Cuz there was not so much left when I remembered well my niece reminded me to take the q-vue pix....
the cocoa rub was so wicked.......I can't wait to do that again...tritip perhaps..
Happy smokes to all, thanks to everyone for the insperation

Very nice, I liked your sear, I could smell it. You got points if I have any left, not sure how that works yet.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Whats left looks great and I'm sure there were full bellys after the feast
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky