Brisket for Summer Sausage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mkriet

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 21, 2015
Dayton, OH
Hey guys, I was hoping to get a deer by now to make summer sausage with, but have had no such luck. I was planning on buying some meat this week to make summer sausage this weekend. Brisket is usually about the cheapest beef I can find, and was thinking about doing that mixed with some pork. Has anyone used brisket before to make summer sausage? If so, how did it turn out?

Thanks,

I have, but came to the conclusion that even though brisket is cheap you are better off to spend a little more and get something leaner. I prefer to use pork fat because I think you end up with a better end result.

You certainly can use brisket for summer sausage. If ground straight with the fat it would probably be around 80/20. I would remove all the fat and weigh it back in to make sure. We usually shoot for 80/20 or 70/30. Another option would be to trim all the fat off and add in pork butt for the fat. Texture wise it might be better. than using all beef fat.

Brisket is cheap here at our restaurant supply. Usually $2.50-$2.60 per pound for choice whole packers. At the super market they are $6.99-$9.99/pound!

You certainly can use brisket for summer sausage. If ground straight with the fat it would probably be around 80/20. I would remove all the fat and weigh it back in to make sure. We usually shoot for 80/20 or 70/30. Another option would be to trim all the fat off and add in pork butt for the fat. Texture wise it might be better. than using all beef fat.

Brisket is cheap here at our restaurant supply. Usually $2.50-$2.60 per pound for choice whole packers. At the super market they are $6.99-$9.99/pound!
I like to watch sales. Last week I bought round roast for $2.49 a pound. The last time I bought brisket I think it was $2.99 a pound and I discarded at least a third of it's weight in fat. I like to use pork in my summer sausage anyway, so I just grind in pork butt for the fat.

IMHO You can leave pork out of summer sausage. All beef is the way to go. My 2 cents

Boykjo

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky