Brisket First Attemp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Danno44

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 8, 2018
First Brisket in OKJ Highland.
Turned out ok. Nice bark, good flavor, juicy, passed pull test. Family enjoyed it.
Did learn several things.
Need to work on trimming skills. Some areas too much removed, some not enough.
Was about 11 lbs after trimming. Seasoning was just salt and pepper.
Overall about 13 1/2 hours cook time at 250”ish” burning oak.
1 hr rest. Did wrap with unwaxed butcher paper about 10 hours in once bark seemed right. Was hoping to go unwrapped for whole cook, maybe next time if I trim the point better.
Temp control for the longer smoke went ok, a couple of spikes both high and low at about 7-8 hours in. When to add more wood and how much got out of wack, but got it under control.
Biggest thing I learned in my new 12” slicer is extremely sharp, first cut sliced tip of thumb pretty deep. Should get a stitch or two but trying super glue first.
Needless to say after all that work I didn’t get to slice it, brother in law took care of that while I was doing triage to thumb.
R8ja0ov.jpg

zom1So8.jpg

That is a fantastic looking brisket, and for it to be the first one you did in your new smoker, makes it even better!
Very nicely done & congrats on making the carousel!
Al

Reactions: Danno44
It looks wonderful! Very glad you're alright. I've come close a few times when I got too excited chopping something quickly, so I try to remind myself to slow down and pay attention toward the end. I see why chefs on tv throw away the end pieces of stuff. Takes time to be careful, but I don't like to waste.

Way to go on the carousel!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement. I certainly appreciate it!

FIRST ONE!!! That is a beauty for a first attempt!!! Looks great!!! Way to go, Sucks about the thumb though. Congrats on the carousel ride.
LIKE!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky