Brisket Breakdown...1st timer!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dmess8541

Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
PA
Well fellas-I'm up and running.  It's just after midnight and I am watching my temps hover right around 218 degrees.  I took a lot of tips from everyone on here (as I have no clue what I'm doing...)

Here's the breakdown

7.5 lb brisket flat w nice fat on top

mustard then dry rubbed 12 hours ago

Using JJ's au jus veggie dripping tray recipe

Camp Chef gas smoker with maverick (door temp is reading 60 degrees cooler than actual!!)

I will continue to update throughout the smoke/night as I have nothing else to do except wish I was sleeping

I hope it comes out alright, I have family and friends coming to eat at 4pm and no backup chow...

You are off to a good start! Take your time, maintain temps, resist the urge to keep opening the door, and let it do it's thing. You may very well get a long Stall, that's ok, it will catch up, don't raise the temp. As you have read, we typically look for an IT of 195-200*F However it may get to 185-190*F and stay there...But...As party time approaches, 3PM, as long as it is Probe/Toothpick tender you are good to go regardless of temp. Rest it and serve. Good Luck...JJ

BTW...You anywhere near Harrisburg?...JJ

Relatively...about 1.5 hrs or so.  I live in berks county-about 20 mins from Allentown. 

I can't wait to taste it! Thanks again for your help

Dave

Any time. We all been in the same Boat at one time...JJ

Well here's an update-

11 hrs later and I have an IT of 165.  I put it in the pan and covered with foil, while removed the smoked vegetables/drip tray. 

A couple of mods I did (as I am PARANOID) of drying it out-  layed bacon over the top of it 2 hours ago

also put a stick of butter cut up in the foil tray just now with some beef broth and the brisket. 

There is a decent bark on it, not like most of the Qview's I've seen, but not bad.  I will be taking a picture at the end for you guys.  I haven't all along only because my smoker door HAS to be completely opened in order to add chips, remove a tray, add water etc. and I lose a lot of heat and smoke as it is.   (I've been using homemade apple and hickory chips)

What do you veterans think? 

th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif

Rules.gif

I'll be tackling a brisket in the near future for the first time, so I'm very interested in the process. Thanks for sharing, eagerly awaiting pics!

Whoa, whoa whoa buddy.....let me make sure I didn't screw it up!! 
pot.gif

I'm the guy who breaks a $350 part on my truck while trying to repair or replace a $2 part. 
head-wall.gif

Qview pics coming soon.....I have an IT of 173 right now (12 hrs into it)

IT showed 190 and I pulled out the brisket.  To be sure, I used measured the temp with two separate thermometers the maverick that was in it in the smoker and a kitchen probe.  The readings then were 161 and 173???

ANY IDEAS?  Is this normal?

What was the Texture/Tenderness like? Did the probe slip in and out with minimal resistance? If so, as I said, it's Done regardless of IT...Here's hoping all went well...JJ

Last edited:
The probe didn't go in so easily....so I kept in on until it did.  That is a good indicator-thanks for the tip! 

Photos will be posted next

Chef JJ, do you cook the au jus sauce in your MES. Im thinking about doing it tonight in my 40. I've got one of those aluminium pans but was wondering about how rge heat and smoke would flow around the pan.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I did a prime rib with Chef JJ's Au Jus in a foil pan in a MES30. The roast had a very good smoke flavor using the foil pan. The Au Jus was excellent. Not sure how long you could leave the Au Jus in the smoker. My Au Jus was in with the prime rib about 4 hours and turned out very well. Brisket takes a lot longer. I don't know if the Au Jus can be overcooked if left in too long.

I try to use a roasting pan that is just larger than the Meat I am Smoking. I have a MES and don't want to block the heat and smoke flow. The Au Jus can stay in as long as the Meat is there, you can't over cook it, just don't let it evaporate completely. Add Water as needed to keep the volume at whatever amount you started with. If you need to get some sleep, put an extra 4-5 cups of Water in and go to bed, you can simmer/reduce it back down to the original amount when you are resting the Meat and finishing the Cooking and final Seasoning of the Au Jus or Gravy on the Stove.

Msuman, I'll be Smoking a Chicken today and will check in periodically, if you have a question send me a PM or if an emergency create a new Post in the general Forum...JJ

02e8eff5_Brisket.jpg

As promised the Q view.  It ended up taking 15.5 hrs start to finish.  CHEF JJ'S SAUCE IS AWESOME!!  I even ate the vegetables which had such great flavor. 

Now for the sad part....I am convinced I don't love the taste of brisket.  I now know this as all my guests loved it, and I wasn't crazy about it.  (I had it Texas a few years ago and thought they didn't prepare it right) Turns out they did-its me who doesn't like it. 

I am a MEAT LOVER for sure-rib eye steaks, venison backstraps, tenderloins are what I live for, but just not brisket.  (Not to mention staying up all night and these other meats take 30 mins to grill!!)

Thanks to all your help it came out great and my family enjoyed it

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky