Brisket and pork shoulder 22 wsm ?s

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lpbg

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 28, 2017
Illinois
I have a 10lb brisket and 15lbs of pork shoulder I'm trying to smoke at the same time on my 22" wsm. My question is does it matter if the pork drips on beef or vice versa? I just dont want to cross contaminate. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
When I do the over/under cooks I'd rather have pork dripping onto brisket since brisket is harder to keep moist. And, being mindful of recovery time, I put the brisket on about 30 minutes before the pork shoulder anyway.

This is just my two cents, but I would think you would want the beef on top. Undercooked pork presents (in my mind) greater potential health risk than undercooked beef. So if you pull the beef first, the pork will continue to cook it off. If you pull the pork first, any drippings from the beef shouldn't present an issue.

This is just my two cents, but I would think you would want the beef on top. Undercooked pork presents (in my mind) greater potential health risk than undercooked beef. So if you pull the beef first, the pork will continue to cook it off. If you pull the pork first, any drippings from the beef shouldn't present an issue.
The key consideration is the temperature of the surface of the meat getting dripped on, or basted if you will. Even though you would have a brisket or pork shoulder on the smoker for 8, 10, 12 hours or so... the surface of whole muscles meats would be the same as the pit temp in a pretty short period of time, so surface baddies that were present when the meat went on are killed, and any baddies in any drippings would be killed in pretty short time. Look at some of the big commercial smokers with the revolving trays.... they are designed so drippings fall from one tray to a lower tray. I personally don't put chicken above other meats, but from a food safety point of view even chicken drippings are safe if they get on other foods while everything is in the smoker.

The key consideration is the temperature of the surface of the meat getting dripped on, or basted if you will. Even though you would have a brisket or butt on the smoker for 8, 10, 12 hours or so... the surface of whole muscles meats would be the same as the pit temp in a pretty short period of time, so surface baddies that were present when the meat went on are killed, and any baddies in any drippings would be killed in pretty short time. Look at some of the big commercial smokers with the revolving trays.... they are designed so drippings fall from one tray to a lower tray. I personally don't put chicken above other meats, but from a food safety point of view even chicken drippings are safe if they get on other foods while everything is in the smoker.

That makes sense. Thank you for the explanation!

Appreciate it guys I thought I was overthinking it, my thoughts were pretty much the same about the basting I just wasnt sure if I was overlooking any contamination issues. Thanks again

Put a piece of foil under the top piece of meat and the juices will run off the side of the lower piece.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky