Brisket 6.95lb Ready for tommorow morning (Qview)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eriksp

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 11, 2011
Orange County, New York
Ok I started out with a 6.95 Flat Brisket from Sam's Club. Patted dry with paper towels. I cut alot of the fat off the one side but didn't go as deep as the meat.

So I have a very small covering of fat left

The Rub I got from Member:Africanmeat who got it from amazingribs

I made 2 Batches of this Rub one for the first coat which will be the main rub for the over nighter tonight. Then the other batch for the touch-ups tomorrow morning. Member Africanmeat used oil then applied rub,I'm using yellow mustard.

3 tablespoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili or ancho powder
1 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder

I didn't get pics of the Fat side (not sure of the name)

I'm not sure on the wood I will use. Maybe Apple or Hickory.

cb08a437_DSC00950.jpg

41ee5ce6_DSC00949.jpg

49d677e1_DSC00952.jpg

Looks like you got a good start.

Africanmeat knows what he's doin......

I would try a blend of apple and hickory,Hickory can be overwhelming on a long smoke, Use primarily apple and throw some hickory in every now and then.

Can't wait to see this beauty all smoked and sliced!

In at 10:15

27288ceb_DSC00959.jpg

I also decided to make a batch of Dutch's Baked Beans. I put them on the top rack

9e46a7f2_DSC00960.jpg

I just had a spike of 260 for 1-2 minutes. I'm using the old maverick 73 and I guess it lost connection and my unit indoors was reading wrong.

Pulled it at 165 degrees internal temp. Then Foiled it

This is the shot of when I pulled it and wrapped it in foil.

Question: What temp is good for slicing? I don't want to pull the brisket,like pulled pork.  I want butter slices :) 200 degrees for slicing? or lower?

8a4e72c6_DSC00961.jpg

Any suggestions on a vinegar based finishing sauce?

Use the juices from the foil or if you had a pan under the brisket, use that with some Worsty sauce, beef stock, onion, & garlic for a great sauce. You may have to defatt the drippings. I don't think a vinegar based sauce would be good on brisket, but that's just me.

I went for the vinegar based because I always see everyone talking about it and never have tried it.

Ok my cutting skills are lacking since this is my first ever brisket. I went with Apple and Pecan wood. Pulled it at 207 because I went to the store quickly. Not sure if those 2 degrees made a difference but it was hard to slice it really wanted to be pulled. Rested it for about an hour

The Rub was incredible. Some might not like it because of the Pepper. I used fresh cracked maybe that's why you could taste the pepper so much. I cut the outside bark off for the kids and they loved it.

As always thanks for helping me along with my questions. You guys always write back so quickly which helps because you answer my questions right when I need the answers.

This weekend Ribs maybe!

f17bc50e_DSC00967.jpg

Soy Sauce is my 2 Year old Daughters, she was eating White Rice and won't eat it without Soy Sauce

250adb99_11.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky