Brinkmann Trailmaster Limited Edition

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi all new to smoking thanks for all you tips

i'm sort of half way through mods ordered some clamps 
 because i'm losing smoke through the sides of my lid just wondering if the rubber bung on the clamp is ok on the hot lid i don't want to drill my lid if those bungs will melt    

Hi Smokin NW

Your mods look great can you tell me do the bungs on the clamps survive ok with the heat of the lid

Regards Tim

hey all.

just wondering if anyone has had the idea to build a second shelf for the trailmaster, i am looking into getting one and was curious if it was possible, is the inside big enough to where a second shelf could be built?

hey all.

just wondering if anyone has had the idea to build a second shelf for the trailmaster, i am looking into getting one and was curious if it was possible, is the inside big enough to where a second shelf could be built?

2nd shelf... I dunno... maybe if all you do is flat stuff i.e. ribs, wings maybe.  With pork butts in mine there's not much headroom left.

Hey where did you get that?  ...and it fits into the BTLE fire box?
Hi GlennMc

My friend made it for me the size is 12 x 10 x 6 i picked the metal up from a local supplier i hope its man enough for the job as the original grill bars bend with the heat.

This may also help

It's a fuel quality AND quantity issue. In my experience, both Cowboy and Royal Oak just don't have the consistency and available energy to generate the temps required to power a cooking chamber the size of the TMLE's. I use a base of Kingsford Blue and large lump from Ozark Oak in the charcoal box to act as a 'heat sink' and then keep 3-4 chunks (baseball size) of my smoking wood (usually citrus) burning between it and the CC intake for that boost of heat. Works great.

You can see the flaming citrus chunk to the left of the charcoal bed; this fire has been going for a couple of hours. Notice the angle of the flame... that's the draw from the stack "pulling" the air through the CC:

Remmy, thanks for the advice.  I will try that trick keeping wood next to the firebox and see if that keeps burning the entire time.  Last year I didn't have this issue, but it was about 20 degF warmer out when I was BBQing a lot and getting great results.  I will stick with the Royal Oak and see.  I also just cleaned out the entire smoker, as I do each season, so maybe in some weird way this had something to do with the temp being low.   Also, had a gazebo over me and the smoker, so maybe this messed with the exhaust stack and draft!   Hmmm.  Maybe that was it!

Roughly 40" long x 17" wide x 8" (peak height) measured at/from the cook grate. Subtract any intrusions (like the dryer vent 'stack extension') from the length.

Last edited:
Pic of a 10lb pork butt I did last weekend on the BTLE. Used Aaron Franklin's Texas style rub recipe. 5 hours in the smoker to a temp of 160, then wrapped tightly in foil, then into a 300 degree oven (why waste the wood fuel?) for about 2.75 hours to an internal temp of about 205. Best pork butt ever! It was a smoky, tender, black meteorite! The savory rub combined with a sweet sauce was awesome.

By the way, I did all the mods on my BTLE others have: dryer elbow extension, Rutland silicone, tuning plates, and Harbor Freight toggle clamps. Sure burns fuel a lot more efficient
as well as holding temp. :grilling_smilie:

Last edited:
Buddy of mine just bought one of the Brinkmann Trailmaster Limited Edition at Cabela's  I am going to stop by his place tonite and measure his new smoker for one of my 'Mister Baffler' (U.S. Patent pending) heat deflecting baffles which I make for offset smokers, Brinkmann, Chargriller, Charbroil, New Brumsfeld, Oklahoma Joes, etc.   Mister Baffler can be purchased on line at www.KickAssbbqsouth.com

I had the Trail master also, I don't recommend putting any money into is, save it for a higher quality unit. I have mine for about 3 years and during a cook the ash tray just fell apart. it had completely rusted...and I live in sunny So. Cal where it never rains...I would recommend a Oklahoma Joe Longhorn, easy on the wallet and well made.

"during a cook the ash tray just fell apart"

I had the same thing happen to my ash tray, so I had my factory make me one our of stainless steel. I've since moved on to a Brinkmann Vertical which has much better and more consistent heat control without all the modifications. So I have a stainless steel ash tray that is also twice the depth to hold more ash if any one is interested in buying it, PM me and I'll shoot you a price.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky