Brinkmann horizonal offset smoker themometer question

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by mikefromolemiss, Jun 2, 2008.

1. [​IMG]So i have a smoker like this. I love it...but the temp gauge does not have any temp readings on it. It just says warm, ideal, and something else...i hate it. Does anybody know if you can buy one with actual numbers on it and replace that one? any advice would be helpful...thanks

2. daboys

daboys Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Hey Mike. Those thermos are junk. I have a smoker like that. I put 2 thermos, 1 on each side at grate level on mine. More accurate readings that way.

3. where did you buy the themometers? did you just drill new holes and insert them? two at grate level sounds like a great idea. Obviously it gets hotter on the smoke box end. is there anyway to even out the temp in the smoker?

4. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Read about the mods for those... tuning plates. That'll even 'er up!

5. daboys

daboys Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Got them at Wal-Mart, don't remember the price. They where in the garden center area. And yes you do have to drill holes for them.

6. watermelonslim

watermelonslim Meat Mopper

You can get one of these:
    [​IMG]

They are $15 at Walmart (in the garden section with all the grill accessories).
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8587360

I cut off the end of a 2x4, drilled a hole thru it, and stuck the probe thru the 2x4. I put it on the grill whenever I was using it, and the receiver worked fine from my living room.

I have since upgraded to a Stoker, but for $15 that is a good, wireless, digital thermometer.