Brining ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbqsmoke

Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Hi Everyone,

Still a newbie, but I'm learning a lot from all of you and I appreciate that. I've been reading a bit about how brining improves the taste of a lot of meats, but never heard mention of anyone brining babybacks. Not a good idea? If anyone has tried it, I'd like to know how it worked out, and any of your favorite recipes for brining pork ribs.

Thanks

I have tried brining BB's and spares, and all I can say is they ended up with a ham like texture. The flavor was good, but not the texture I wanted from ribs. You need to try it at least once, then you'll know if you want to repeat it again in the future. It's all good my friend.

Thanks for the info, richoso1, I think I'll just stay with what worked in the past!

I have tried brining ribs twice and they were ok. The reason I brined them in the first place was I baught a case of ribs from a buddie because he can get them cheap. Well they were cheap gross ribs. The first time I made them normally we could barely eat them. So the next two times I made them I tried brining them. The brine did take away most of the funky flavor but there was still a hint. These ribs seemed like they were frozen and thawed a few times and then slightly freezer burnt or something. The meat wasn't spoiled or anything but they had a bad flavor. Lets just say I was glad to finally use up the the last rack and I won't be buying those ribs again. Now I stick with fresh ribs from Sams Club or Walmart.

In my opinon, ribs have enough fat so they "self baste" while cooking so you get all the tenderness and moistness without having to try and add any additional moisture.  Also, they have a small cross section, so you get the effect of your seasoning all the way through the product.  Unlike, say a butt which can be bland in the middle because the flavor of the rub can't penetrate that far into the meat. So , in short... brining isn't necessary for ribs. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky