Brining ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

legerdemain

Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Minnesota
I'm trying this for the first time this weekend. I'm using 5 cups water, 4 cups apple cider with 1/4 cup kosher salt. I'm going to soak the ribs for 2-3 hours, then wipe them off and add the rub. The rub will set in overnight before smoking using the 3-2-1 method.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this before and what the results were.

I've never brined ribs but do brine pork chops and it really improves them and gives you a moist pork chop which I find hard to get without brining using todays pork that is raised to have so little fat.
Be sure to let us know the results of brining ribs.

I've soaked ribs in plain apple juice a couple of times but never brined them. I find it easy to over salt ribs because of the amount of surface area they have.

I had used brining on pork loins with fantastic results, so that's why I gave it a shot on the ribs today.

They turned out pretty good. A little salty for my taste, but the meat was tender and flavorful (No pictures to post, unfortunately). My wife thought they were great (she's never said that about ribs before in her life), so I must have done something right. :o

Once again, I'd like to thank everyone here for their insight and advice. Today was the first time I have ever been able to smoke ribs from start to finish on my grill, and I couldn't have done it without the ECB mods or the 3-2-1 method. Your help has been invaluable. I'm really starting to feel like I know what I'm doing now. :D

Hi There legerdemain!

I brine ribs in an enameled roasting pan (non-reactive) stainless steel or glass is ok too..Do not use aluminum

I use enough water to cover the ribs well with 1/4 cup kosher salt and 1 cup apple cider vinegar..The apple cider will work just as well...

But here's the point!

In my opinion if you use kosher salt in your brine then eliminate any use of salt in your rub for the ribs...

It will not be as salty that way! :)

ranger72

OTBS # 14

Yeah, I had considered that possibility ... after I had already applied the rub. :lol:

I'll try it differently next time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky