Brining Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mnola917

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Long Island
I just put my turkey into Trav's Brine recipe (which i hear amazing reviews of) and had a question about it: From what I understand the rule of thumb says 1:16 ratio of salt to water. Trav's brine is only 1/2 cup of salt in 1.5 gallons of water. Is this going to work as well as other brines?

I can't speak for the science about it but I know if you follow his recipe it comes out great. I have a brine that I use for chicken legs and it has a ton of salt in it probably around 1/16 amount you are talking about and they come out great but if I was doing a whole bird that I was going to eat for a meal it would be too salty. But when its just for legs that we snack on it is awesome.

It works just fine. Not as salty as many of em, just enough ta make the osmosis work.

I sell alotta chickens an quite a few turkeys, so it does work real well.

Much a the poultry ya buy has been "enhanced" an this recipe works really good even with them.

Also, it be lower an salt so better fer yer ticker if ya got high blood pressure to.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky