Brining question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

elde

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Ahh... the annoyances of the weekend. Saturday, when I hoped to smoke, it was storming cold and windy all day. Sunday, when I had a woodturning class, it was absolutely gorgeous all day...

Anyhow, I fried up the loin chops I'd intended to smoke. By way of practice for making Canadian Bacon, I went ahead and brined two of the chops in Tender Quick at the ratio given on the package for two hours - and boy were they salty! Just a little this side of inedible.

Is this normal?

The package had directions for brining? I haven't used TQ very much even though i have a bag of it in the cabinet. A short brine though may not be enough for the TQ to do it's thing and equalize out. It's also pretty accepted TQ is heavy on the salt side. If your going to use it like that i would make sure and rinse it off good after brining and then possibly even do a fresh water soak for abit.

One other thing thats a good idea to combat saltiness is to let it sit in the fridge for ahwile. My pork bellies i usually let sit over night to dry up and equalize.

Next time, try soaking those babies in clear water for a couple of hours after the TQ brine, changing the water every 30 minutes or so, and they shouldn't be nearly as salty.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky