Brining a butt?!?!?!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dougbennett

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
So I'm watching the Food Network's BBQ show tonight, and the guy's doing Boston butt. And the first thing he does is brine it. I thought brining was mostly for yardbirds. Anyone here ever brined a butt? Does it make a difference?

I don't brine butts or briskets but guess to each his own

Brine it ifin yer lookin fer a ham type taste. I would not brine it myself. Beginin ta dout the food network some, seems they are gettin alot of no it all no nothins on there. Just my two coppers worth.

.. whose advice I'm not keen on to begin with. He's probably never been near anything but a Big Green Egg anyway!
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

Plus, brining with molasses, water and sugar just doesn't SEEM right to me. But I 'cue by instinct and experience, not recipe books and TV shows...

I've never brined a butt before, but I do what I call a steam brine in my smoker for butt and they come out great.

Basically I use 1 Webber chimney of coals in my basket and put about 1/2 pan of hot heavily salted water (I use the good sea salt) directly on the coals. I usually make a small circle in the coals so the pan fits nice and snug. I also put some fresh herbs in the water from the garden depending on how I feel that day. Parsley, cilantro, oregano, rosemary or thyme. Once the water gets boiling it sort of steams the meat for about an hour or so putting in a slight hint of the herbs, but more importantly adding moisture back to the meat in preparation for the long smoke yet to come. Since the meat doesn't sit in the water it doesn't give it a salty ham taste, but does give it that extra hint of flavor and moisture.

FOLKS.........i brine ALL the time, and it does NOT come out like ham. ask smokebuzz. he put it in his top 5 ever butts he's tasted. i also inject with my brine. try it just once..........i have been advocating brining butts on here for a LONG time. i will never ever do a butt withOUT brining.

1/2 jar molasses.....non sulphur kind
1 cup brown sugar
3 Tbs Kosher salt
1 Tbs freshly ground c u m i n
heat above ingrediants till sugar disovles
put into a large container
add two trays of ice
let come to room temp
Add meat
Add cold water until meat is covered

i also now inject with this same brine.........i also use this brine on my chicken and turkeys

Yes, Dudes brine does work, not enuff salt to "cure" and give the hammy texture and flavors. as a inject, it would work well and does in his case. i prefer to inject something like it. the only reason i dont brine butts, is so i can pi$$ with him over it.

Try it!

The same with Bon Appetit. They screwed with the temps in my recipe, or maybe I hijacked
icon_smile.gif
it to keep the competion at bay It was a long time ago.
icon_evil.gif

This is great to know, I have been afraid to brine, and I did my first turkey this past weekend and I won't do another turkey without it from now on..I did not know you could use it on a butt....can't wait to try it now..thx for the recipe too..

I'm not in a position to read the rest of the replies tonight, but Alton Brown's pulled pork episode is awesome. No matter how I cook a butt I use the brine and it turns out awesome very time. Water...pickling salt...molasses...and then I add what I like. AWESOME! You can't go wrong brining a butt. It is the best insurance policy.

I'm always up for an experiment if it involves firing up the smoker! Have never brined my butts before smoking them but am intrigued. Will have to try your recipe, Steve.

If you brine it, would you still use finishing sauce
confused.gif

i TOTALLY disagree.......it depends on how much salt each individual WANTS to use.........there is NO set brine recipe............i have found that a full cup, sometimes, in some meats, is WAY to salty...........to state that it MUST use a full cup of salt is misleading, to say the least...........

yes sumo........i do use slofla's finishing sauce.........i don't add it to add moisture........i add it to add flavor of a DIFFERENT sort...........thats what is great about this site........to be able to try different takes on so called..ESTABLISHED recipes, and make them better, to each of our own individuals tastes and requirements............nothing should be wrote in stone.........to think/believe so, is just being stagnant........imho.........

All the recipes I have seen were 1 cup salt, per gallon. You should use kosher salt or sea salt. I don't think it's the amount of salt, but brining time that makes the difference.

JMHO though, I'm still learnin'

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky