Brine Question?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

316sports

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Crossroads, Tx
I plan on smoking some chicken this weekend. If I use a basic brine, can I still put a rub on the chicken, or does that kind of defeat the purpose of brining? Thanks.

andrew

When you get it out of the brine wash it off well in cold water and dry inside & out with paper towels. Then you can give it a light painting of EVOO and put the rub to it. Keep the temp up when smoking chicken, 350 is good, no low & slow with chickys. Should make the skin nice, not rubbery.
Don't use a salty rub.
You'll see. Can't kill a chicken.
Enjoy!
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Cowboys right, rinse it off and put whatever you want on your bird, my last one I rubbed with EVOO and sprinkled Lemon Pepper on it and then smoked over apple. It was great

Oh yeah!
If you are smoking anything else make sure the chicken is on the BOTTOM rack so it does not drip on anything else you plan to eat!
Chicken always goes on the bottom.

That is why I love smokin meats. YOu can do whatever you want.....I smoke my yardbirds as follows:

Brine min 4 hrs, rinse, dry.
stuff cavity with pieces of an apple.
loosen skin and put whatever herbs or rub between skin and meat.
hog tie yardbird (legs to bishops hat, tie wings tight to body)
rub with EVOO, more rub, instert prob thermo into breast
into smoker at 225-250 (dont care it skin crispy), smoke till 165-167
let rest (yardbird will still cook after you take it out)

Just my .04cts worth (inflation ya know)

Good luck on your endeavor, and remember, its your smoke. Do it how you want to!

BTW, I love using the poultry rub found on deejaydebis site www.deejayssmokepit.net
Also, see pic under "poultry: smokin in s.e. MI"

Throw some lemon or orange slices in that birds belly too it'll take great and be nice and moist - DON"T FORGET TO RINSE THE BRINE IN PLAIN WATER!

If you do brine, you might want to use a rub with a lower salt content as the salt might be overpowering. If you're a salt-aholic then disregard.

I never rinse my bird off , but my brine may not contain as much salt as many do, if your floatten eggs with your brine, then deffinity wash it down.

I agree with Kuel, watch the salt content in the rub. You've already penetrated the bird with the salt from the brine. I speak from experience on this topic. But do use a rub after you coat the bird with EVOO. The temp has to be higher than usual >290* in order to get the skin crispy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky