Brine For Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

marty vw

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Pella Iowa
I used a brine recipe that I found on here last time I smoked a chicken.
It was 1 gallon of water 1 cup salt 1 cup brown sugar. And also worcestershire sauce but I can't remeber how much. It was very good so I want to try it again. Anyone know how much. thanks for any help

My brine is similar to what you mention, but only 3/4 cup salt. I use 1/4 cup worcestershire in it, so I'd image that would work for you.

Here's mine:
1 gallon water
3/4 cup non-iodonized salt
1 cup brown sugar
3 cups apple cider
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 oz maple flavoring
1 tsp ginger
3 Tbsp ground black pepper
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1 cup dry minced onions
2 bay leaves
2 Tbsp Italian seasoning

Whatever you think, just experiment, don't be affraid.

Yep, brines are not an exact science by any means. They do not "cure" meat (then you would need accurate measurements of a curing solution), but are more of a flavor enhancer. You're spot-on for the basic brine, but again, alter it to your taste and add whatever spices you think will be flavorful (garlic, rosemary, onions, whatever!)

Be careful as to how much salt use you in ratio to how long you have the bird in the brine. The salt can overpower if you go for a long brine.

Here's my Smoke in the Hollar brine:

1 1/2 Gal Water
1/2 C salt
1/2 C Dark Brown Sugar
2 tsp garlic Powder
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Cajun Spice
2 tsp Celery Salt

This is a nice basic brine, yall can add whatever trips yer trigger.

Also, fer a spritz that gives a decent skin an a nice sheen:

Smoke in the Hollar spritz:

8 oz Apple Cider
6 oz Water
4 oz Whiskey
2 oz Cider Vinegar

Hope these hep ya out some!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky