brine for 7 pound turkey breast.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bso8870

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Can someone give me measurements for 7 pound Turkey Breast Brine? Should I half the measurements from slaughterhouse's brine?

Thanks

Are you looking for a flavor enhancer only or do you want to pickle it into a ham-like product? If so, use this:

½ gal. water
½ cup salt
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
2 tsp. sodium nitrite (pink salt) cure, or Morton's tenderquick (if so, reduce salt to ¼ cup).

stir thoroughly, if possible inject the breast with it and soak overnight or just soak for 2 days w/out injection, loosen the skin so the brine can get to the meat.

for flavor enhancing i use this one...

brine recipie

make enough to cover. in container(plastic,glass, or s/s combine
3 quarts water
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1.5 cups pickling salt
3 cloves garlic-halved
2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
4 bay leaves

while smoking i baste with 50/50 butter/evoo, also last hour need to get temp up to crisp skin

make enough to completly cover
some example brine times are:
game hen 2-4 hours
chicken,pheasant 4-8 hours
2.5-4.5 lb. rolled and tied pork,beef,or lamb roast soak 8 hours or til next day
12 lb. turkey 18-24 hours

Many turkey breasts are already brined in a solution. I brined one once before without reading the label carefully and it was very salty. If I get
one now I let it sit in fresh cold water first, changing every 2 or 3 hrs.
I do that about 3-4 times depending on the size of the breast. An 8#r
like yours, I would suggest 4 complete changes. Then I would use your
your flavor enhancing brine.

Jack~

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky