Brine Cured and Enhanced Pork Rib Roast ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nothing knew here for me, but maybe someone will see this and give it a try. This is almost as cheap as chicken, well this one was but........

Love your butcher, Pork chops on sale for 1.39/lb. I don't want mine cut up, butcher gets a break and losses nothing. This ended up being a 7 rib roast and I cut it in half. Why you ask? Because We didn't eat a 3 bone piece. Now the other half is ready for another meal.

Using my own Pork Brine which I admitt is a little sweet but thats how I like it.

Pork Loin Brine    (Pork Loin = 140 IT)

1 qt.                       Water

1/4t.                      Chipotle

1/2t.                      Ginger

1/3C                       Salt

1/2C                       Brown sugar

Tiger sauce

1/4t.                      Thyme

1C                           Apple cider

1/4C                       Maple syrup

½ T                         Maple extract

1 tsp.                     #1 Cure

I boiled everything together in 2 cups of the water except the extract and the cure, allowed to steep. Used 2 cups of Ice to cool and added the extract and the cure. Then poured over the meats in the ziploc's. Empty specialized brining containers.

A little secret, I notch the back bone now so large thick "chops" are more easily cut for plating. You can ask you butcher to do it also.

Three days in the reefer getting all happy happy. 

Pulled, rinsed, patted dry and fan dried while loading up and starting my brand spanky new AMAZIN Oval Adjustable tube. Which I waaaaaay over stuffed, its so much better you have to relearn how much smoke to use. Guys its impressive! BTW That's my pattened Oval Tub hanger. Wrap around air flow and ..... takes up no cooking space while locking the expandable tub in your chosen position. <chuckles>

I jacked the temperature up a little this time from 220 (my normal smoke temp) to 250. I put in a new heating element and it not nearly as hot as the last one. Meaning, its less responsive.

Everything in the little MES30 walked away.  

BTW I am trying a 2 foot long 3" PVC extension above my vent. That may also have something to do with the available smoke and the recovery response time also. It dang sure likes those pellets too! LOL Its OK, I just bought 5 more bags of pellets from Todd while on sale. Getting ready to make sausage and andouille maybe..... 

Back to the pork rib roast.

Took about 4 hours at 250, and its waaaaaaay over smoked with hickory and apple. 165 IT, I pulled , rested as long as I could stand it, sliced and served.

Ok, I sliced it.................

Plated?

The picture doesn't do it justice. That's red beans & rice with fresh andouille, silver Queen corn, and the salad was tomato, onion, avocado. The pork was so tender, juicy, delicious....... I had planned on cooking it yesterday, but head it an extra day. Its what smoking is all about, not expensive cuts of meat, its about down and dirty cheap that you make more delicious than that expensive cut.

I am not real sure exactly how I made this work tonight, but gonna play around with it some more.

Some of the cooks missed..............

Grilled chicken, home made smoked cajun sausage.

Or the bread and butter item, a chicken....... This one brined and cured........ZOMG!!!  it was good!

Thanks for looking in, maybe I can figure this thing out again.

Last edited:
Those chops look great foam! The color is amazing! Those pork rib roasts have become my new favorite cut lately. Ive got a couple of them for the exact price you mentioned, 1.29! I've brined but never cured. Putting it on my list! Points!

Those chops look great foam! The color is amazing! Those pork rib roasts have become my new favorite cut lately. Ive got a couple of them for the exact price you mentioned, 1.29! I've brined but never cured. Putting it on my list! Points!
Thanks sir, That one was a day too long in the brine. This is what my first one looked like after a day and a half.

AND the right amount of smoke!

Course its a prettier cut of meat also. LOL

Beautiful Pork!  
points1.png
  Good to see ya can post pics again!

Mike

Beautiful Pork!  
points1.png
  Good to see ya can post pics again!

Mike
Thank you Mike. And I am not too sure who it happened. Hoping it works next time. It is a more lengthy project now with win10 I am actually copying it back to my old win8 directory then pulling it from there. I don't guess with the exception of win 3.1, 97, 98se, that things ever change, they just stir the pot and sell more software and tech service....LOL  They finially get all the bugs out and have a good software, lets come out with another!

Thank ye kindly.

I do love your board name. Lots of Cowboy in the family. Once had to pick up a red healer in Colo. while flying thru on business. it was for my cousin to give to her hubbie. Smart tuff dog. Solid bright red like a fire truck. He was ridiculiously priced.

That looks awesome Kevin....   Nice bark....    pull back on the ribs....   points....

click
LOL... Dave, I love the way you look at it. I big spare rib....... It was soooooo juicy and tender! You could not tell if you had a piece of fat or meat other than looking. I don't know how better to put it. the meat had that almost gelatin texture it was so tender. AND the Cure really helps move those added flavors to the meat. I made the comment that I believe, it was the first time in my life I did not salt or pepper the finished product. It was perfect.

Thanks Dave.

That's a really good looking roast, Kevin!

Awesome job!!  
icon14.gif

Al
Thank you sir, You know what I thought of, <Chuckling> Each of those chops actually cost about a dollar. Slap one chop on one of Betty's buns, you'd make a fortune. Seriously!  You'd be the most popular booth everywhere ya went! A good buttered bun and a chop, and a paper napkin. How simple.

Thank you sir.

Foamheart, that is absolutely delicious looking piece of pork!       Great Job!
Its one thing to say how good a 90.00 Prime rib roast looks, but a 6.00  pork rib roast, now that is something. And strange thing is I would rather pork or chicken over beef near anyday.

Wow..

Nice job, Kevin. Looks awesome!
points.gif
Thank ya Duke, I apprceiate it. I feel sort stupid taking compliments on something so easy. Its like most smokes it's 85% prep, 10% patience, and 5% dumb blind luck!

Its one thing to say how good a 90.00 Prime rib roast looks, but a 6.00  pork rib roast, now that is something. And strange thing is I would rather pork or chicken over beef near anyday.

Thank ya Duke, I apprceiate it. I feel sort stupid taking compliments on something so easy. Its like most smokes it's 85% prep, 10% patience, and 5% dumb blind luck!
I'm at 50/50 prep/luck
roflmao.gif

Mighty fine looking bone in roast.

How did you over stuff the tube?

Mighty fine looking bone in roast.

How did you over stuff the tube?
Thank you sir......

Tube is adjustable, and that's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more tube space or smoke than I needed.

That oval tube throws out the smoke. But like I said some where else, I am also playing with a 2 foot chimney extension also. Both are new not sure yet which causes all that smoke. Maybe both combined, maybe the increased draft, Maybe this monstrous tube. really don't know yet but it dang sure smokes!

Its way more than twice the smoke out put made by my 5"x8". I love it, I just need to find the sweet spot. 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky