Brilliance, happy rant

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

john dice

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
Thank you everyone for previous posts and responses to me.

I smoked a 7 pound pork butt today and I would like to call it perfection for me. Sorry there is no qview, dig camera is on my top list for gadgets to buy so I can share with you guys and get good feedback.

Clearing up total history for.. I live in Oregon and just got interested in barbeque by watching the food/travel channel and all their specials about southern BBQ about3 months ago.

Around the end of March I saw an ECB on craigslist for 20 bucks and snatched it.

I love meat but have no standards for BBQ. I have gotten a pretty good idea for "decent" bbq now from places like this and I am pretty sure I would meet those standards from todays smoke.

This was the third of my smokes. Pork came out with a decent bark (probably could work on it). I took it off at 194, I was sick of waiting. Last two times had some problems or dying fuel so I pulled at 190. There was tons of fat I pulled off for those times.

It seemed like this time all that fat melted and seeped into the remaining meat. This stuff just melted in my mouth!! I forgot the ingredients for the finishing sauce but with a tad of the bark the spices went great.

For my water pan I used a more diluted version of the brine I used for the pork.

I will post the brine and rub ingredients tommorow, but they were pretty much direct copies of some recipies from the "Legends of Texas BBQ" book.

Thanks!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky