Brick Smoker Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hmacmill

Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Just wanted to share a picture of the brick smoker I built.  The stone structure was already there, it was built by someone else a long time ago as a wood oven.  I tried the new smoker out a few times, pretty good results.  Need to add coals about every hour but it maintains heat pretty well.  The initial load of charcoal is good for about 2 hours.

32a7d885_smoker.jpg

Very nice. Thanks for the pictures.

When I get a more permanent place I am going to build a stone smoker.

I have a silly question for you. I never seen one of this but I'm thinking I need to build me one.

I'm guessing the charcoal goes on the "first" floor and meat on the "second" floor". Is there an opening between the two of them? Where and can you control how big it is?

Otherwise, how do you control the temperature?

In other words I'm trying to figure out plans for this type of construction?

Here's a pic of the side view.

7acf4ada_IMAG0109.jpg

Chasing BBQ,

There is a rack a few inches up from the floor where the charcoal goes.  Underneath the charcoal grate, I have 4 1" pipes with valves to control the heat.  I added another rack above the charcoal to put a water pan to help disperse the heat better.  There are two cooking grates, the first one is about 27" from the charcoal grate and the second one is 8" above the first cooking rack.  Other than the waterpan, the rest is wide open.  The opening inside the smoker is 16" wide by 24" deep.  It maintains temp pretty well, I'm still trying to perfect it.  I start it off with one and a half chimney's of charcoal.  It takes about a half an hour to an hour to warm up.  When the temp dips towards 200F, I shovel in some lump charcoal and open the intakes a little.  hope this helps.  Also, I got a lot of the details of my build from the Wilbur Hog smoker (including the door design).  Here's the link which includes drawings.

http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/wdh.htm

I tried the minion method but all the charcoal/lump ignites and it gets to about 400F.  I tried it with all the intakes closed too.  maybe there's too much air getting through the doors or exhaust stack.

icon_cool.gif

Well thats one fine smoker you have there Now I just want to see some of it's wares.

Thanks for the great info. With what you gave me, a few other threads in here and some videos I found in youtube, I think I have a little better idea. I plan on starting on diagrams sonn, but I'm planning on adding a pizza oven in between the firebox and the smoker. Will see if that is possible.

Great smoker though,

Thanks Chasing
Chasing BBQ,

There is a rack a few inches up from the floor where the charcoal goes.  Underneath the charcoal grate, I have 4 1" pipes with valves to control the heat.  I added another rack above the charcoal to put a water pan to help disperse the heat better.  There are two cooking grates, the first one is about 27" from the charcoal grate and the second one is 8" above the first cooking rack.  Other than the waterpan, the rest is wide open.  The opening inside the smoker is 16" wide by 24" deep.  It maintains temp pretty well, I'm still trying to perfect it.  I start it off with one and a half chimney's of charcoal.  It takes about a half an hour to an hour to warm up.  When the temp dips towards 200F, I shovel in some lump charcoal and open the intakes a little.  hope this helps.  Also, I got a lot of the details of my build from the Wilbur Hog smoker (including the door design).  Here's the link which includes drawings.

http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/wdh.htm

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky