Breast up or down :o)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kmadson

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 3, 2007
Clarkston, WA
eek.gif
help needing a quick reply as to the best way to cook my last turkey. It was a little over 20 lbs. so I had it cut in half. Is it better to cook it breast side down or should I cook it cut side down? Let me know what you think as I will be needing to put it in in about 20 to 30 min. :o) Thanks for your help
smile.gif

I usually do breasts so it doesn't make a difference but I know some people smoke whole tukeys breast down so the fat from the dark meat bastes the breast.

I think either way you will be fine.

Normal if it was a whole bird I would do breast down as breast meat cooks faster than dark meat. In this case, not being a whole bird, i would go breast up.

How ya cookin' it?

I have actually done whole birds upside down (breast down in the oven) because about 10 years ago or so there was a rumor going 'round that it might help to make the breast more moist. Tuff call on if it works or not, I mean that I have not done a side by side test to see the results, but I would venture to say that it does help and I do about half of my birds breast down. I am not a big white meat fan though, gimmie a leg any day!

I might suggest that however you cook it, that the cut should be sealed with atleast a coat of butter or oil and maybe foil or bacon to maybe control the drying.

Thanks Zapper, already put the oil on cut side but may do the foil thing half way through also :o)

Hummm, so when you cook the breast down the temps. would maybe come out a little closer instead of the breast darn near done and those yummy leggs are a holden back? :o) It seems when breast is up it is near being ready much sooner than the legs. They need to make dark meat turkeys I'm not a breast person anyway LOL Kmadson

I think I will do half and half won't know till I try it on one. Thanks again Kmadson :o)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky