breaking in a new charbroil off-set smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wood fox

Original poster
May 11, 2010
Do i need do a break in fire in both the small firebox and the big
grill smoke box? I've been reading a lot on here see that it is important to get the heat to the far end of the smoke box.Could you use the charcoal pan ( that comes with it) as a block off plate covering the smoke hole and forcing the smoke to the far end of the smoke box.
I did asmall fire today had 220 at the firebox end and 190 at the chimney
end.

I seasoned mine with fire in the firebox only. I coated the entire unit with olive oil on the inside before starting the seasoning burn. Then I built a large fire and got the whole unit up around 400 degrees using wood only -- full flame, vents wide open. I kept the temp up for over an hour you it had a beautiful black coating on the inside and on my new grates. Don't be shy -- you really can't overdo this step. Keep good leather gloves handy -- those handles, etc. get hot during this process!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky