Bread & Butter Pickles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

darwin101

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
I saw this video today and thought it an easy one to share. 

Ingredients for about 2 pints:
2 lbs pickling or other firm, little cucumbers

1/2 yellow onion, sliced

2 red jalapeno pepper, sliced

3 tbsp kosher salt

2 cups sugar

2 cups white distilled vinegar

1/4 cup water

1 tbsp mustard seeds

1 teaspoon celery seeds

1/8 tsp ground cloves

1/2 teaspoon turmeric

1 tsp black peppercorns
2 cloves garlic, sliced

Nice video, thanks for the share Darwin, not a big fan of bread and butter but like the German hot dills. will have to give it a try. 

DS 

Thanks for the Vid.  I always make my own bread and butter pickles (weird ass name).  Will have to try this recipe. 
icon14.gif

B&B pickles is one of my favorites also, I buy Famous Dave's by the gallon at Costco.  Once those are consumed I will try his recipe, has to be cheaper and hopefully better than store bought.  
icon14.gif

Thanks Darwin for sharing the video. I don't like dill or sour pickles but I love sweet a B & B pickles. A few years back while working for the gas company, we were in a small office with just me and a girl in the office, we had a sweet little old lady customer who would occasionaly bring us a jar of homemade B&B pickles. One day we were sitting around the office talking about Mrs. Hurley's pickles and trying to think of a good reason to make a call at her home,maybe turn her gas off by accident or something, well the phone rings and it;s Mrs Hurley. She said her pilot on her water heater went out. Now we don't make service calls to relight pilots unless we were the cause of the pilot being out. well I hightailed it over to her house lit her water heater. When I refused to take any money she gave three huge jars of pickles. We ate a whole jar that day in the office and each one to bring home.

I would bet Mrs. Hurley was just as excited by ya'll enjoying her pickles as you were to get them.  I miss little old ladies like that.
smile.gif

I am going to look for the lil cucs next time I am in the grocery.  If you get to try the recipe post up what you think of it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky