• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Bread Bowls

SWFLsmkr1

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
Daughter is making potato gnocchi soup.

So i made bread bowls.

Mixing, just long enough to bring the dough together.
bb.jpg

Now med speed for 5 mins
bb0.jpg

Ok after 5 mins on med its ready for shaping and a 40 min rise.
bb1.jpg

After the med mix, lightly oil a bowl, shape on roll it around the bowl. Cover with damp cloth for 40 min rise . In a warm spot.
bb2.jpg

Now shape each small loaf into a ball on a lightly oil cookie sheet. Cover with the dam cloth 30 mins.
bb3.jpg

Bake at 400 for 25-30 mins.
bb4.jpg

4 1/2 teaspoons (2 packets) instant yeast
2 1/2 cups warm water (110°F)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
4 cups (18 ounces or 510 grams) bread flour
3 cups (13.5 ounces or 383 grams) all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons fine salt
1 egg white

In the bowl of an electric stand mixer stir together the yeast, water, olive oil, and sugar. Add the bread flour and stir until combined. Fit the mixer with the dough hook and on low speed, gradually add in the all-purpose flour and then the salt.

Turn speed to medium-low and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. You can also knead by hand for 5 to 7 minutes.

Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 40 minutes.

Gently deflate the dough and divide into 6 equal portions.
Stretch each portion into a tight ball, pinching the bottom with your fingers and rolling around on the counter to seal and shape. If the ball is too loose it may deflate while baking, so be sure to make a nice tight shape.

Place the balls on a greased baking sheet. Slash the top with a sharp knife to score in an X shape. Cover and let rise again until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°F. Place an empty broiler tray on the top shelf.In a small bowl, beat the egg white with 1 tablespoon of water. Brush over the dough.

Place the baking sheet in the center of the oven. Pour 1 cup of hot tap water into the broiler tray and quickly close the door. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden. Cool completely. Cut a large round from the top of each loaf and scoop out the center.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
That's gonna be so good .

pushok2018

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 12, 2017
Looks soooo good! Would like to have some of that while it's raining and dark where I live.... Thank you for sharing the recipe!

SWFLsmkr1

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
Daughter made the potato/gnocchi soup.

clifish

Smoking Fanatic
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined May 25, 2019
Carb over load....it would be worth the diabetic coma to eat that soup and bowl!!! Great job.

SmokinEdge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jan 18, 2020
Looks outstanding. More cheese for me, please. That’s me holding a empty plate. Lol

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Nice Rick!
I like those with split pea soup!
Al

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
They look great! Especially on a cold day.

Ryan

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Great looking deal there.
Bet it would be even better with some of your Brunswick stew.

Warren

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Beautiful Rolls & Bowls!!
Nice Job Rick!
Like.

Bear

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.