• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Bratwurst Ruben On Homemade Pretzel Buns (Pics)

tx smoker

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
Well it's kinda like a Ruben anyway. Similar concept just slightly different approach. So a few days ago I made soft pretzels for the first time ever. They came out very well and only lasted a couple days before being totally devoured. They were good enough to justify trying to make pretzel buns for Tracy's beloved hamburgers. Used a Southwest Potato bread mix from The Prepared Pantry then followed the same principals as making pretzels. After the buns are formed they go into boiling water with baking soda for about 30 seconds. Then I let them cool, brushed with egg wash, and sprinkled with Everything Bagel seasoning made by Borsari which I received from our good friend Steve H Steve H (this stuff is really good)and baked at 375 for 15 minutes or so. Thought a sandwich with the Hipshot brats would be good so went with it.

Here are the buns out of the oven and cooling
002_Fotogenic.jpg

A couple brats on the grill, top rack, opposite end from the heat to cook indirect
003_Fotogenic.jpg

Brats done
004_Fotogenic.jpg

Split the buns and brats, then add Swiss cheese and kraut. Brats are nice and juicy. We're loving these things
007_Fotogenic.jpg

Back onto the grill to heat through and melt the cheese
008_Fotogenic.jpg

Spicy mustard, chips, and homemade pickles ala SmokinAl SmokinAl
011_Fotogenic.jpg

Heading to the patio for dinner
014_Fotogenic.jpg

Close up
015_Fotogenic.jpg

This came together to make a fantastic flavor combination. My first thought was to use 1000 Island dressing to be more along the lines of a traditional Ruben but when I saw the spicy mustard in the fridge I knew that was the way to go. Another quick meal that was fun because the buns, sausage, and pickles are all homemade. It's just so much better doing it yourself. This one will go into the rotation as a must-do-again and I have a feeling that the pretzel buns will be a forever staple around here. Man they are good!!

Oh well, gotta get to my Sunday chores. We had a huge brisket blow-out yesterday and got some stuff still needing to be cleaned up Everybody take care, stay safe, and we will see y'all again soon.

Robert

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
These are off the charts awesome looking. And since I love a good rueben. These have to be on my menu!

motocrash

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 25, 2017
Nice! I used to make the same except wrapped in a tortilla and grilled to seal up/crisp the "packet".
I'll have to make them again after seeing this. Thanks for the reminder :emoji_thumbsup:

WaterinHoleBrew

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 18, 2013
That is one tasty looking meal there my friend, top notch stuff as per usual!

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Looks great . Good way to eat a brat .

indaswamp

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Those look awesome! Good call on the mustard! Like!

jcam222

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Looks awesome Robert! The bins look axing for sure. The cut shot at the end is $$$$$

JLeonard

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 17, 2020
Great looking sammich. I'll come help with the chores for a lunch like that!
Jim

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Wow!!
I could go for 2 of them right now!!!
Outstanding Sammy Right There, Robert !!
Like.

Bear

sawhorseray

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Oct 17, 2014
Off the charts once again Robert, I love a good Ruben, nice piece of work, Like! RAY

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
EXCELLENT Robert!
Al

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
Another fine creation, Robert!
A nice twist on brats outside of just on a bun.
The Mustard was a good call for the brats Ruben!

BrianGSDTexoma

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 1, 2018
Those buns look so freak'n good! Good sammy. That Prepared Pantry treats you good! I looked at site but just do much bread other than weekend toast.

TNJAKE

Smoking Guru
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 26, 2019
Looks delicious Robert. Would go good with beer cheese!

tx smoker

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
Robert, looks pretty dang tasty! Love the buns!
Thank you!! Taking into account that I'm not even close to being a baker this was an adventure to say the least. They came out well though.

These are off the charts awesome looking. And since I love a good rueben. These have to be on my menu!
Thanks Steve. The sausage is fantastic but add those buns, it was a chart topper.

I used to make the same except wrapped in a tortilla and grilled to seal up/crisp the "packet"
Too funny!! This is how we typically have our brats but wanted to do it a bit differently this time.

Robert

tx smoker

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.