Brats!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dukeburger

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2009
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Had some time off lately and it's been a while since I've run my grinder, so it was time to make some bratwurst for some summer BBQ freezer stash. Had 5lbs of cubed up pork butt in the freezer ready to go and some leftover 32mm collagen casing leftover from my Texas links this winter.

Followed Chef Willie's recipe for the most part. (Giving credit where it's due):

4lbs cubed pork butt

1lb brisket fat
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons ground white pepper
1 teaspoon dried marjoram flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground caraway seed
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon garlic powder

5 teaspoons Morton TenderQuick

1 cup milk

Dissolved all dry ingredients in the cup of milk and mixed in with ground pork and fat (ran once through fine plate). Let sit overnight in the refridge. Next day stuffed into 32mm casing and froze immediately for packing. Took 4 out for dinner tonight.

Note: Since these are callogen casings, I've only ever tied with butcher twine to create links. This time I tried the same linking method I used on my breakfast links and it was surprisingly successful!

Poured a can of beer into 12" cast iron pan with half a chopped onion and poached brats for an hour on the kettle. Added a couple small chunks of hickory during this time.Then put brats directly over coals to sear each side before serving.

Final verdict: Holy crap. These brats are incredible and will not last long!!

Thanks to Chef Willie for sharing the recipe!

Last edited:
Nice! You even got all Fancy with the triple link...JJ 
points.gif

Really need to make some more of these and another batch of breakfast sausage.

Any sausage or snack stick recipe I've tried have come from SMF and they've all been crazy good. Thanks again to those who have shared their recipes, this place is one of a kind!!

So how do you like the collagen casings? Ive only used them for snack sticks but I recently bought some to try with breakfast sausage. I'm curious about how they compare to hog casings.

So how do you like the collagen casings? Ive only used them for snack sticks but I recently bought some to try with breakfast sausage. I'm curious about how they compare to hog casings.
They tend to split very easily when cooking. Not much of a "snap" to them either. Now that I've figured out the linking, they are not too bad to work with. 

They are easy to find so I'll be using them again.

Great Looking Brats!

Love the fine grind, the stuffing looks perfect.

Points!

Smoke ON!

- Jason
Thanks Jason, much appreciated!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky