Brats, Bangers & Breakfast Sausages...Oh My!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

couger78

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Northern California
I had a request from my sons to make some brats to grill for the 4th of July holiday.

Since I had a boneless 15lb butt thawed & ready to go, I thought I'd split it up and make several different sausages besides the Brats. So I ground up the butt & divided it up into three large bowls and made three different sausages. 

I was unable to take many photos this time of the whole process as the wife had the camera to capture the local parades & events around town.

I was able to take a 'final' shot of the trio: All stuffed...

f6e7218e_bratsbangers_lg.jpg

All 3 are fairly simple recipes, and got a thumbs-up during the 'tasting portion' (pre-stuffing) from my son.

Anyways, I was very pleased at how all three came out. None are very difficult to make, but I think you’ll be happy with the results if you decide to give them a try. 

Kevin

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 'Jimmy Dean-Style' came about after trying several recipes, trial & error & choosing ingredients that work well in a good breakfast sausage. Previously, I missed the mark on breakfast sausages, but these come pretty close to the Jimmy Dean flavor profile.

Jimmy Dean-like Breakfast Links

(makes 5 pounds)

5 lb pork butt, ground

36g kosher salt (about 5 tsp)

1.0 g ground sage  (little over a tsp)

2g red pepper flakes (add more to your taste)

2g thyme leaves (little over a tsp)

3g black pepper (1.5 tsp)

2.5g ground coriander ( (little over a tsp)

1 cup cold water

Optional: 1/3 cup real maple syrup**

20-24 Sheep casings

**I find it too sweet & dont add it

Mix all ingredients; Fry sample & adjust seasonings to taste. Stuff into casings or make into large chub to slice into patties.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The English Bangers I made were a favorite of my son BEFORE he was diagnosed with celiac two years ago. Most bangers contain some rusk or wheat/gluten filler, so the version I made was GF (gluten-free). Really nice flavor, mild with a nice hint of ginger & sage. 

GF English Breakfast Bangers

(makes 5 pounds)

5 lb pork butt, ground

2 tbl Kosher Salt (44g)

2 tsp ground sage

1.5 tsp white Pepper

¾ tsp ground ginger

½ tsp Mace

4 slices bread* (toasted & ground-up in processor)

1.5 cups water or chicken broth

32mm Pork casings; tied off into 3-4” lengths.

* I used gluten-free bread

Mix all ingredients until a nice sticky paste is formed. Then stuff into casings or make patties.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These brats are a combination of flavors that work well for a savory sausage that is good for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Great with kraut or fried potatoes!

Cheddar Bratwurst

(makes 5 pounds)

5 lb pork butt, ground

5 tsp Kosher Salt

5 tsp sugar

1 Tbl Ground Coriander

1 Tbl Ground Sage

1 tsp Paprika

1 tsp fresh Rosemary, finely chopped (or 2 tsp dried)

1 tbl Dry Mustard

1 tsp Black Pepper

1 tsp Nutmeg

1 tsp Cayenne (optional)

8 oz Cheddar cheese, cubed in ¼” pieces

1 cup cold water

32mm Pork casings; tied off into 6” lengths.

Mix all ingredients (except cheese) until a sticky paste forms. Gradually mix in the cheese cubes until they are thoroughly distributed. Stuff into 32mm casings. Grill or fry.

Excellent job again Kevin. Thanks for the "GF" recipe too, I'm not celiac (yet) and hope never to be. But I do watch out for the Gluten now. Thanks for posting.

Those look excellent. Like they came off a machine. Nice job.
One of the joys for me when making this size batch is having two of my three sons helping out.

One cranks the stuffer while I size & shape the links; another helps with refilling the stuffer, getting the next casing ready, and constant clean-up. It makes the whole process more efficient and personally, more rewarding. Since they participate, theres' an investment made and with it comes a greater appreciation of the outcome! 
yahoo.gif

Kevin

looks great and thanks for the recipes.

Those look awesome - thanks for sharing the recipes 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky