Brand New user

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

codfather

Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Hi everyone. I have stumbled on what looks like a great site for someone like me who is interested in learning more about smoking meat. I did my first batch last night. It was some Koho salmon that I got off the west Coast of Brittish Columbia this summer. For the first batch, I must say it wasn't bad. I got a recipe from my uncle and used a little chief that my wife picked up at a garage sale. Looking forward to doing something else real soon. I love wild meat and have an assortment in my fridge. Everything from Mule deer to moose to elk to Kariboo. I would like to try something but I not sure what recipes would be good for this stuff and I don't want to spoil any meat if at all possible. If anyones got anything they would like to shar with me it wou8ld be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Glad you joined the forum!
icon_smile.gif

This is indeed a GREAT place to learn about smoking. There are lots of very knowledgeable folks here who are more than willing to answer your questions and offer advice. It's really a great place to find some friends and become a part of the family.

Welcome to SMF, a great place to pop the top off a cold one and sit back and learn more about smoked meat while puffing the thin blue...... I don't see where anybody has suggested yet, so I'll do it now....you will want to sign up for Jeff's ecourse, it's chalk full of great info..... once again, welcome!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Hey Cod! Welcome to SMF!
Gotta say that I made the best jerky I have ever had out of elk! Just an awesome meat! Did some fine sausage with it too- about 35% pork butt, 65% elk. Used mustard seed, rosemary, savory, onion and garlic seasoning in it. Smoked some, left some fresh. Both were good, but I'll have to admit I was partial to the smoked, of course -heh.

Welcome Cod.... All the suggestioins made are reliable but to get great results with smoking one must smoke a lot and keep the cook well smoked also will help..... Enjoy
icon_wink.gif

Welcome aboard codfather! (I love the handle...)

I haven't smoked any wild game yet, but I'd love to have the opportunity to do so. Delaware doesn't have much to offer in that respect...
PDT_Armataz_01_10.gif

As far as smoking salmon, I think the secret is to remove the lid from the can first...
icon_mrgreen.gif
Butt seriously, I brine my fish first, then smoke. There are lots of recipes for brine and smoking fish on this site... you have certainly come to the right place!

Welcome to the forum. There are several members (Vlap and Salmonclubber come to mind) who have a lot of experience with fish. I do mostly salmon and just use a simple marinade of contry dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar and maple syrup. Alder is a nice wood for fish.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give you some more suggestions relating to the wild game. Enjoy!

Welcome aboard Codfather. Been here 2 months and you couldn't ask for a forum with more knowledge or more willing to help.

Codfather, welcome to a most friendly and knowledgeable forum!

Welcome codFather -

If you have something in mind I'm sure we can help but you need to give ua a hint about what you'd like to d we have SOOOOOO many recipes to share!

Welcome to the SMF Family
icon_exclaim.gif

I smoked salmon pieces a while back & didn't brine. I put lomon pepper on & a slice of onion. Smoked them @ about 220 for a little over 1 1/2 hours & they were moist tender & delicious.

I have never don any wild game but from what I understand most soes not have much fat marbling so it is easy to dry out. Keep asking & looking & you will get the answers & help you need
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you. The Little Chief is just about the perfect smoker for Salmon. I have used on for many, many years. It is set to run low, in the 140F-150F range and that is perfect for that nice long slow smoke. You can go higher and faster, but you are semi cooking it instead of traditionally smoking.

On the other hand, when it gets to many meats, the Little Chief will not be hot enough. If you are like most of us, there will be two or more smokers in your future. LOL

Enjoy and once again, nice to have you.

Skip

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky