Brand name or store brand butter?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

inkjunkie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Nov 25, 2014
Mrs. Inkjunkie has a question for you fine folks that smoke butter. To date we have only smoked Land O Lakes butter. Very tasty stuff. Anyhow, we were having toast with breakfast one day and she made mention of how funky the store brand butter she used tasted. She is wondering if smoking the store brand butter will remove the funky taste.

Have yet to buy Challenge butter. She normally buys Land O Lakes or Tillamook

The Boss picked up some Challenge and Tillamook butter a few days ago We both like really smoky butter so it was in the MSE40 for three and a half hours. Thought I had a picture or two after we took it out but can't find them...

I'd like to try some Tillamook butter but it's not so readily available around my area.  When it comes to cheese, yes for Tillamook.

To be honest I have smoked several types of butter (all unsalted) from French President down to own brand supermarket and there really does not seem to be a great deal of difference in flavour once you have taken it out of the pack. Some are a little creamier than others however higher price does not seem to reflect the best flavours.

One that did not turn out well though was, on closer reading of the label ingredients, a butter marge blend - although the name and wording on the front of the packet did not make this obvious.

Last edited:
To be honest I have smoked several types of butter (all unsalted) from French President down to own brand supermarket and there really does not seem to be a great deal of difference in flavour once you have taken it out of the pack. Some are a little creamier than others however higher price does not seem to reflect the best flavours.

One that did not turn out well though was, on closer reading of the label ingredients, a butter marge blend - although the name and wording on the front of the packet did not make this obvious.

Ernie doesn't remember what brand she bought that we don't care for, will check to see if theres still a wrapped hunk of it. When compared to Tillamook the color is different, more like it looks waxy. When spread it more like smears. Doesn't melt evenly, Ernie said it is tasteless to me it tastes like chemicals. I should have smoked a piece of it just to try it but the Boss said no....I know better than to not listen to her lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky