Bourbon Marinated Sirloin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
Couple of weeks ago, I got a great deal on a whole boneless sirloin. Decided to cut it into thick steaks, vacuum seal, and freeze except for 2. This is my favorite way to prepare and cook thick sirloin steaks and it's been a while since I've done one so here it is, back by popular demand.

About 1 1/2" thick...
thumbnail (2).jpg
thumbnail.jpg

These were marinated in a bourbon marinade for 24 hours and then grilled. The marinade recipe is from the Complete Meat Cookbook by Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly and can be used on top round steak, as well...

Bourbon Marinade Recipe
- 3 TBSP EVOO
- 2 TBSP Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup bourbon whiskey
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 TBSP red wine vinegar
- 1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 TBSP diced red onion
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
- 1 TBSP ginger
- 1 TBSP salt
- 2 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients together and set aside. I like to make the marinade a day ahead and refrigerate to let all the flavors come together, or at least I think it makes a difference...
thumbnail (1).jpg

Take a fork and poke holes in the steaks. In the book, they recommend scoring the steak on each side...
thumbnail (10).jpg

Place the steaks and marinade in a plastic sealable bag in the refrigerator overnight, I try to turn them as often as possible. I've found that any more than 24 hours, the marinade becomes a little overwhelming for our tastes...
thumbnail (11).jpg

After 24 hours, remove and wipe off excess marinade...
thumbnail (7).jpg

Meanwhile, I've got sweet potatoes baking and got some fresh picked okra seasoned with a little EVOO, coarse salt, and fresh ground pepper. The okra will be roasted in a 425℉ oven until slightly browned...
thumbnail (9).jpg

Now time to get busy. Grilled on lump until seared well on the outside...
thumbnail (6).jpg

We like our steak a little on the rare side...
thumbnail (5).jpg

Served with baked sweet potato, roasted okra, and broccoli salad. May be too rare for some, but there's always the microwave :emoji_wink:...
thumbnail (4).jpg

This steak was very tender and the flavor is exceptional, in my opinion. We roast almost all of our fresh vegetables simply with EVOO, salt and pepper, but okra is by far my favorite. The broccoli salad is a friend's mom's recipe, but there are plenty on the interweb.

I do love cutting my own steaks from primals! That looks like a great marinade recipe worth bookmarking.
Any roasted or grilled vegetables will win a spot on my plate for sure. Might have to give okra another try that way.
Like!

Looks great!

Thanks for posting the recipe too!
Thank you, KC and you are more than welcome. Try it and let me know what you think.
Wow that looks good! The marinade sounds great. Love Okra around here too. A+ all around!
That marinade really is good.
sure looks good
Thank you, Jim..
Absolutely outstanding. A truly beautiful plate of food. Very well done!!

Robert
Robert, thank you.
Mind if I pull up a chair? Looks amazingly tasty. Nice plate.
You are welcome at my table anytime and thank you for the kind words.

I do love cutting my own steaks from primals! That looks like a great marinade recipe worth bookmarking.
Any roasted or grilled vegetables will win a spot on my plate for sure. Might have to give okra another try that way.
Like!
Thank you. If slimy okra is a turn off, and for many it is, but you like it fried, roasted may be to your liking. We love okra about any way it can be cooked, but we're especially fond of okra and tomatoes over rice.

A beautiful looking meal. The slices looked fantastic. Thanks for the marinade recipe. I'm like you GonnaSmoke, okra any way is fine by me. The Mrs. doesn't like the sliminess, so, break out the air fryer and roast/air fry crisp some breaded orka. Sometimes I'll dehydrate them with some EVOO and seasoning on them for snacks and dice some for salads and rice.🍻
John

Fantastic looking plate! Steak done to perfection in my book!

Ryan

Looks great! Perfectly Cooked IMO! I have to see if there is Okra up here. I've had it in TX and OK, but not that popular in PA...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky