Bought my first Bologna, now what????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jstanford

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Nashville TN
Just your basic hunk of Bologna, would like a mild smoke on it, what temp and how long?? Do I put a rub on it or leave it alone? score it or not? Any suggestions will be appreciated

I score mine like you would a ham.  I generally put a thin film of mustard on it then put a rub of choice on that.   rub doesn't stick to good if you don't put some kinda "glue" on it.   I do mine on the WSM at about 220.  I take to internal of around 140-145.   It's already cooked so , really, you are just "infusing' it with smoke.   I let mine cool, slice and either grill or fry up in a pan with a slice of hot pepper cheese on it.

Oh My GOD! That looks awesome, I love this site! Thanks for the pointers, that's exactly what I was looking for. You rock

hey Cowgirl, The cream cheese wrapped one, Looks fairly uncomplicated to try, did it taste half as good as it looks? If so, I'm trying that one tomorrow!
icon_mrgreen.gif

hey Cowgirl, The cream cheese wrapped one, Looks fairly uncomplicated to try, did it taste half as good as it looks? If so, I'm trying that one tomorrow!
icon_mrgreen.gif
It was really tasty.. I was going for an abt style filling. I could have left the meat out though.  It's easier to butterfly the bologna when it's not "straight out of the fridge" chilled... Hope you have good luck with it.  One thing about smoking bologna...it's all edible whether it looks pretty or not!
biggrin.gif

Jeanie, thanks for that link.  more stuff to try!   god bless bologna!!!  :)     As a matter of personal taste, I prefer a good german bologna over the "emulsified" oscar mayer type stuff.  I like that fact that it has little chunks of meat n stuff in it rather then just who knows what, LOL
I agree Mike.. wish I could find the good stuff around here!... need to make my own.

I score mine like you would a ham.  I generally put a thin film of mustard on it then put a rub of choice on that.   rub doesn't stick to good if you don't put some kinda "glue" on it.   I do mine on the WSM at about 220.  I take to internal of around 140-145.   It's already cooked so , really, you are just "infusing' it with smoke.   I let mine cool, slice and either grill or fry up in a pan with a slice of hot pepper cheese on it.
OK ya all. I gotta give this one  He!! Ya

Now thats the kinda stuff you can eat on for weeks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky