Bottom Round Roast help

Discussion in 'Beef' started by skinnerc06, Feb 20, 2008.

1. I pulled out a bottom round roast from the freezer and its thawing out. I want to smoke it to a temperature where it can be shredded for a brunswick stew. Is it possible to cook it to a temperature where it can be shredded or is this cut not right for that? Anyone ever done something like this?

2. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

from what i have read on here, that depends....and NOT necessarily depends on the cut of meat........some will pull, and some won't........the same cut of meat from one beef mite pull, and another from another beef won't

3. welder

welder Smoke Blower

I have done bottom round roast it should be fine for pulling it get very tender.

4. I use bottom rounds for shredded Baltimore beef sandwiches all the time. Works like a champ. Good luck and dont forget the Q View.

5. O.k. well since you all think this will work, could any of you give me basic instructions on foiling temps and pulling temps? Its afirst time for me. Thanks

6. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Foiling temps will vary. If you want a good bark on the meat, the later the better. Usually I will think of foiling at 160 to 170º. As to pulled, this is usually in the 195 to 205º region, but sometime alittle more is needed.

7. I foil around 160 then take it to 200. Once at 200 I pull it off, wrap with a towel, and toss in the cooler for a 90 min rest...then pull away. Every roast is different but I have had good luck with these times and temps.