boston butt help please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

south jersey bbq tim

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 29, 2010
south jersey
so i put my 7 lb butt in the smoker at 5 p.m. its been smoking for 3 hours already. can i leave it over night and take it out at 5 a.m. or will that be too much!! if so what time should a foil it.. it actually been smoking from the start in a foil pan..want to keep the juices.. thanks for the help

That may be too long. Use 1.5 hrs of cook time per lb, dp that would be approx 10 hrs or so. I never base cooks on time. You need to go by temp. I cooked a butt today. I was about 5 lbs. I out it on at 7:30 am and took it off at 3. I didn't foil as I wanted the nice bark. I removed the butt from the smoker when the internal temp reached 202*. I put it in a ceramic bowl, covered it w/seran wrap then placed the cover and a towel on top for 1 hr. It was very good, the bark was great. Not as juicy as foiling but by no means was it dry.

If you do foil, remove the butt when the internal temp gets to 165. Double wrap the butt in foil and add a little apple juice to the foil. Place back on the smoker until the inernal temp reaches 202*. Remove and leave in foil for 1 hr. Pull the meat and enjoy.

Hope this helps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky