• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Bony lump on Baby Back Ribs

manchester bob

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 31, 2012
Hello, all! Been a long time since I posted. I bought a pack of baby back ribs. I went to clean them up just now, and there's a bony lump on the membrane side of the ribs. It's somewhat disc-shaped, maybe about a quarter to half an inch thick in the middle, and it's not coming off. Has anyone seen something like this before? Is it safe to eat?

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Show us a photo!
Al

manchester bob

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 31, 2012
I thought about pictures right after posting, so I took a couple before putting the rub on. I'm just now about to start my pellet maze and get them cooking. I'll post the pictures right after. I figure that worst-case, I chuck a rib or two near the area. Be back in a few!

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Bearcarver Bearcarver That may not be too far from the truth. Tight quarters in Farrowing Pens and 6+ Brothers and Sisters knocking each other around competing for food. And rough handling by Farmers, could damage or break a Rib early on. The lump may be the spot a damaged rib healed...JJ

manchester bob

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 31, 2012
Both pictures look about the same. This was actually about in the middle of the length of ribs. I cut them in half so they fit better in my MES 30". Pretty gross looking! But as long as the meat is still ok.....

Attachments

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Is the Lump Hard or Soft? Hard, a healed bone. Soft, possibly a growth that you wont want to eat that rib. Other ribs likely fine...JJ

manchester bob

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 31, 2012
It's as hard as the rest of the bones. It has a little flesh growing over it. I tried to get a paring knife under it: couldn't do it, so that's what makes me think that it's bone growth on top of bone. Thanks, JJ!

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 1, 2019
I think the term is rib nodules(?) and are generally caused by some traumatic event.

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
MANY years ago I did some work for my farmer landlord to help pay the rent.
One of the things he had me do was to muck out the pigpen/shed.
When the pigs started nosing at my legs I tried being nice at first but ended up whanging them with the shovel!
I may have caused a nodule or two.....

manchester bob

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 31, 2012
As long as nothing traumatic happens when we eat them! :emoji_wink: I'll have to cut away the meat in that area when they're done and see what's going on inside there. A little science lesson for me!

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 1, 2019
MANY years ago I did some work for my farmer landlord to help pay the rent.
One of the things he had me do was to muck out the pigpen/shed.
When the pigs started nosing at my legs I tried being nice at first but ended up whanging them with the shovel!
I may have caused a nodule or two.....
I worked with guy from Missouri who had the expression "I ain't seen nuthin' that funny since the hogs tried to eat my little Brother".

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Jul 7, 2005
We used to see these back when we used to butcher hogs. Healing nodule from an old fracture.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
We used to see these back when we used to butcher hogs. Healing nodule from an old fracture.

A popular expression up here in Pennsylvania Dutch Wonderland goes like this:
Hey where's your Buddy at?
He went out back to take a leak, and the Hogs ate him.

They tell me it's even funnier in PA Dutch.

Bear

manchester bob

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 31, 2012
I boiled the meat off the bone and took pictures. You can see how it has connected the two bones together: must have had a long time to heal!
It seems a bit like cartilage especially near one of the bones. They started to snap apart when I tried. I guess it's a pork-rib version of a wishbone! Anyway, the ribs turned out great. Thank you all for your replies!

Attachments

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 1, 2019
I boiled the meat off the bone and took pictures. You can see how it has connected the two bones together: must have had a long time to heal!
It seems a bit like cartilage especially near one of the bones. They started to snap apart when I tried. I guess it's a pork-rib version of a wishbone! Anyway, the ribs turned out great. Thank you all for your replies!
Thanks for the follow up photo's. The subject is bound to come up again. Hogs are butchered between 6 and 12 months old so it's an impressive healing.

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
That is freak'in NASTY!!!!! I ain't eating anything that looks even close to that.
I'd be running back to the store for a replacement quicker than spit.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.