Bone Sour question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

iowabbd

Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Des Moines,IA
I have had a ham in brine for 10 days the ham looks great but the bone looks funny and is soft. Is this normal? I can find people referring to bone sour but can't find info on what it looks like or how you know if the bone has soured? Please help don't really want to get a bunch of people sick.

By the way I did inject it with brine all around the bone.

Thanks

Iowa

My first question was going to be about injecting all around the bone.
Did you have the proper cure mixture or like GnuBee mentioned maybe the temp was too high?
Would hate for you to have to toss a whole ham but that doesn't sound like something I would risk eating.

It was for sure under 40. I actually struggled to keept it warm enough the cure works properly 38. Thanks for the replies.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky