Bone-in Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pantherguy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2015
Hey All,

I opened my mouth and am now in charge of smoking some meat for our family Christmas on Friday. I'm going to do a pork shoulder and brisket, which I've done before. However, I usually buy the preseasoned brisket from my local market and it's turned out great but I was there last night and saw a 10 lb brisket for a great price. I got it home and realized there was a bone in it and now I'm wondering how I smoke this thing. I'd prefer to slice it for sandwiches when it's done so do I smoke it with the bone-in or take it out before? Also, the preseasoned one I usually buy already has the fat trimmed where this one doesn't. Does anyone have any good tips on trimming the fat? I don't want to trim too much and risk drying it out.

Thanks!!

I've never smoked a bone-in brisket, either. As for trimming the fat, I slice it back to about 1/4" or so of fat cap, and cut out the hard chunk of fat on the side of the point muscle (the corn). If you're concerned about smoking it bone-in, I wouldn't worry about that. Bone adds flavor...and once it's smoked you can lay a knife on the bones and slide it right through to de-bone for slicing...similar to de-boning a cooked 7-bone rib roast for prime rib.

Not sure if you've done it before, but I like to cross-hatch score the fat-cap down to, or slightly into, the meat before applying dry rub. It allows more rub to adhere to the subject, more smoke to penetrate through the fat-cap, and actually looks nicer for presentation.

Eric

I agree, I have never done one with a bone either, but when you get a pork butt done enough the bone usually just pulls out, should be similar I would think.  I just smoked some huge beef ribs last weekend and the bones just pulled out.

If you pay attention to the direction of the grain of the meat in relation to the bone, you can use it for a marker to slice across the grain.  I usually have to refigure it out.

If you pay attention to the direction of the grain of the meat in relation to the bone, you can use it for a marker to slice across the grain.  I usually have to refigure it out.
Brisket is easy for me. Slice across the length for the flat and end-to-end for the point...but then, I almost never slice the point...it usually goes to burnt ends, or gets pulled. Burnt ends are THE best part of a packer brisket smoke.

Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky