Bmaddox's 1st UDS build w/ pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmaddox

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 5, 2015
Central FL
I have finally decided to branch out from my world of electric smokers and build a UDS. I have been working on it for a few weeks and finally have it 99% done. The only thing left is to do some test smokes and paint the final coat (I am leaving the final painting to my wife so she can put her art degree to use).

Picked up a barrel that was used by an E-Cig company to hold their vegetable oil base.

Cut the lid of but left the lip intact

It took two good burnouts but the paint and liner came off.

All sanded down and ready for paint.

I painted it with flat black grill paint for now. It will get a finish coat latter.

I used the charcoal grate from a 22.5" weber and 18ga expanded metal from Lowes to build the basket. I got a cheap pizza pan to use as the ash tray.

I have two racks, one at 1" down and one 8" below that. For now I am going to leave the heat deflector (perforated pizza pan) on the second rack until I figure out how it cooks.

I used the bottom section of the weber for the lid ring. It seems to seal well but I will see how it goes after a test smoke. I also used the wheels off the weber since I will have to move it outside every time I use it.

I used. the charcoal door off of an ECB that was lying around. 

I have 1 - 1" ball valve and 2 - 1" plugs to the intake.

Hopefully it works well as this took more time than I had anticipated. Anyways, thanks to the other forum members for posting your builds. The ideas I got from here were crucial in building mine.

I like that short pipe for the ball valve, I am building my first UDS (mini) and may have to do that. How long did you go with?

got any better pictures of how you used the lower lip from the grill, thing looks great
All I did was cut the top 3" off the bottom section of the grill then bolt it to the drum sticking about 3/4" over the drum lip. Then I sealed the gap between with some high temp RTV sealant.

Charcoal door?
Yea I did that on a whim. I guess it technically is the wood loading door from an ECB. I had the part available so I figured I would use it so I could add more wood without opening the lid. It may turn out to not be needed but it didn't cost me anything to add it.

I like that short pipe for the ball valve, I am building my first UDS (mini) and may have to do that. How long did you go with?
I used an 8" section of pipe. The only reason I used anything was so the valve wasn't sticking straight out. 

Cool thanks. I'll be picking up the valves and what not today and I want mine raised so its not sticking out but not way tall like a lot of UDS I've seen.

Cool thanks. I'll be picking up the valves and what not today and I want mine raised so its not sticking out but not way tall like a lot of UDS I've seen.
If you don't want it raised up you could just use a "close" fitting which is just threads on both sides. That would only raise the valve up about an inch.

I have two straight in intakes with just caps and one valve so I can fine tune it as needed. I used a 1" close fitting in the drum with a 90 elbow and an 8" extension for the valve. If you drill the holes to the right size the fittings will thread into the drum so you don't need anything on the inside to hold it (I drilled one a hair too large but I used some RTV to seal the outside).

Don't get any ideas. Hahaha.... Not needed.
I figured I probably wouldn't need it (especially since I never see anyone use them) but I like that the WSM units have doors so I went for it. I might not use it but at least it looks good 
biggrin.gif

I figured I probably wouldn't need it (especially since I never see anyone use them) but I like that the WSM units have doors so I went for it. I might not use it but at least it looks good 
biggrin.gif
as long as it seals tight it will be fine. The beauty of the UDS is how airtight they are. when you shut that thing down it goes out very fast preserving leftover charcoal for next time.

as long as it seals tight it will be fine. The beauty of the UDS is how airtight they are. when you shut that thing down it goes out very fast preserving leftover charcoal for next time.
What do you consider very fast? I am doing a test run this weekend so I will time it to see how long it takes to go out when I shut it down.

I bent the door to the drum so it seals pretty tight.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky