Bluegills?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hillbilly jim

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 13, 2015
Floyd, VA
I have access to three farm ponds that are stocked with some big, fat bluegills. I'm pretty much a C&R fisherman, but I wouldn't mind trying to smoke a few of those boys.

Can one of you gentlemen point me to some directions for smoking this type/size of fish?

Thanks, fellas!

Jim

Floyd, VA

i throw some bluegill in the smoker once in awhile,i usually put some tony chachere seasoning on them"sometimes just some salt and pepper"use what ever seasonings you like, and put them in smoker at about 220 for 30 minutes or so with hickory and apple smoke,again use what ever wood you like.i should mention i fillet mine if you use whole fish i would smoke them a little longer. good luck

Thanks, fellas!

My fishin' buddy told me yesterday he's seeing fish in the shallows of his two ponds. 'Bout time to replace the line on my 7 ft. 6 in. ultralight rod and pay a visit with the bluegills!

Thanks, fellas!

My fishin' buddy told me yesterday he's seeing fish in the shallows of his two ponds. 'Bout time to replace the line on my 7 ft. 6 in. ultralight rod and pay a visit with the bluegills!
Always loved me some 'Gills!!!

Bear

I would fillet them and a recipe I used for yellow perch(similar fish)   is excellent! Here it is copied from my earlier post:      

Here is the recipe ,it came with a big chief smoker I had bought 20 + years go .

1 Qt water

1/2 cup non-iodized salt(I use 2-3 Tbspn and brine overnight]

1/2 cup white sugar

3 ounces white rum

1 ounce lemon juice

3sections garlic

3 Tbspn pickling spice

1/4 tsp lemon pepper

3 bay leaves

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky