Blue Diamond Smokehouse Almonds

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wrwoelfel

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
New London, Mn
Anyone have any idea what they put on their almonds. I would really like to make some, but have no idea where to look. I've been all over the net, with no luck. Have a 1/2lb raw almonds to try to smoke.

Anyone have any idea what they put on their almonds. I would really like to make some, but have no idea where to look. I've been all over the net, with no luck. Have a 1/2lb raw almonds to try to smoke.

No, no idea. Probably a patented formula, their 'secret sauce.'
But I do smoke my own on occasion. I get a big bag of raw Almonds from Costco.
Right or wrong, I smoke first, then oil and salt.
I moisten them with the tiniest amount of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) and Lawry's season salt.
I use a BBQ wok very similar to this.
But you could use most anything, like a Qmatz or what have you. I just happened to have the holey wok-a-moly.

Found this: Blue Diamond Snack Almonds
Ingredients: Almonds, Vegetable Oil (Canola, Safflower And/Or Sunflower), Salt,Corn Maltodextrin, Natural Hickory Smoke Flavor, Yeast, Hydrolyzed Corn And Soy Protein, Natural Flavors.

Reactions: wrwoelfel
I don't know what it is they put on them but I can't stop eating the damn things and the bad news is I found a huge bag of them at costco
I was thinking about trying to smoke some myself and I was at a Amish store and they had a container of hickory smoked salt that is really fine that I thought would go good on them

I don't know what it is they put on them but I can't stop eating the damn things and the bad news is I found a huge bag of them at costco
I was thinking about trying to smoke some myself and I was at a Amish store and they had a container of hickory smoked salt that is really fine that I thought would go good on them

Don't be afraid to try smoking your own salt.
Probably be hard to beat the Amish, but you could try.
Nuts are healthy for you, vegetable protein. It's the salt that's not.

I've noticed that bulk whole raw almonds cost about the same as the Blue Diamond Almonds at the less expensive places like WalMart. I may take a shot at smoking some again but only for my the sake of something to do.

I suspect they are lightly sprayed with oil as a binder for the other seasonings and cooked off in a continuous roasting process.

Lance

Don't be afraid to try smoking your own salt.
Probably be hard to beat the Amish, but you could try.
Nuts are healthy for you, vegetable protein. It's the salt that's not.
Hey SoonyE I have never smoked any seasonings before and just thought I would try it it was a little container for a dollar so I figured why not. I was wondering if it would give off much of the smoke taste when you put it in something

I've noticed that bulk whole raw almonds cost about the same as the Blue Diamond Almonds at the less expensive places like WalMart. I may take a shot at smoking some again but only for my the sake of something to do.

I suspect they are lightly sprayed with oil as a binder for the other seasonings and cooked off in a continuous roasting process.

Lance
Hey Lance the bag of the BD smoked almonds I got was 2 1/2 lbs for 13$

And bulk raw almonds run $4.50 and up plus shipping......if yoou want a 10 or 25 pound bag.....

Wow, it has been probably twenty years since I've toured the Blue Diamond Almond plant here in downtown Sacramento. I remember the almonds are assembly line washed, dried in a roaster, coated in a tumbler, and roasted again, but that's all I got. Personally, I've never been able to mimic their crispness by smoking almonds at home.

I just looked them up and they stopped giving tours ten years ago. My wife still goes to their store in downtown Sacramento to buy almonds. She's sitting here watching me type. Says she can find things in their store you can't find anywhere else, like new flavors they are testing.

Here's an interesting video on YouTube about the history of almonds and Blue Diamond.

Hey SoonyE I have never smoked any seasonings before and just thought I would try it it was a little container for a dollar so I figured why not. I was wondering if it would give off much of the smoke taste when you put it in something

It will probably be subtle. I use Paprika as one of my Jerky seasonings, and chose Smoked Paprika as my poison.
Be bold, be adventuresum!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky